Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

Anyone made their own switchblade key with an OE immobiliser

Anyone made their own switchblade key and got it to work with an OE immobiliser?

I've got meself and old switchblade for a tenner (doncha just love ebay.com :-) ) but my VR's got the factory fit immobiliser that uses the chip in the (old) AH profile key.

As I doubt that the switchblade key will have a chip that I can simply programme to work my C's immob, I reckon I'll have to hack the chip out of an old C key and fit it in the new one.

Anyone already done it???

That's a really cool mod! I don't know how easy the SB keys come apart but I reckon that is your best bet.

Seat SB keys also have alarm buttons, I wonder if a clifford keyfob can be 'negotiated' into the SB housing?

Anyone know the p/n for VW SB keys?

K

hey thats great that is! and it just so happens there is a passat SB key on eBay right now.

I have a toad alarm in my car so i presume i wont have the problem that stormseeker is talking about with the chip for the standard imobiliser???

would be cool to get those buttons working with your alarm aswell ..........hmmmmm :?

hey thats great that is! and it just so happens there is a passat SB key on eBay right now.

What are you waiting for? :lol:

I have a toad alarm in my car so i presume i wont have the problem that stormseeker is talking about with the chip for the standard imobiliser???

Shouldn't do, but if you do the SB mod, you can cut your C's key open and see if there's a transponder chip in it. No chip, no factory immobiliser! I think only the 95 model year got the immobiliser?

K

I've not got the OEM imob, but you need to open the switch blade key housing up by pulling it apart, the top part pull away from the bottem. then you should be able to open up the bottem half that houses the electronic for the buttons and insert the chip out of your key inoto the houseing.

I made my SB key about 6 months ago. Fantastic mod and the key doesn't wear holes in your pockets

Anyone know the p/n for VW SB keys?

K

Do a quick search on ebay (include the US site) Kev, a lot of the ads have the part nos. in them.

The one I got was HLO 1J0 959 753 AM - a very recent Passat one I think.

there's no way the electronics from my current alarm fob are going to fit in the SB - there's about a third of the space, and NO room for the GP23 12V battery! :roll: :cry:

I'm assuming the SB key is sold as a blank?

New ones will be - but they're megapounds from VW. Buy an old second hand one and throw away the the actual keyblade, replace it with your modified Corrado one...

I have tried to order a blank on from my VW dealer here in belgium but they where not allowed to sell it to me, so i went to germany an bought one there, a blank key brand new.

I ordered a Transporter one (T4) they have a AH key profile like the corrado does, all the other mk4's have lasercut key's

The part #'s for the T4 one:

7D0 837 246 D 01C key and switchmechanisme

7D0 959 753 C the button part

The link shown on top here is real easy, you don't need it new, a 2nd hand will do, lasercut or AH profile key's are not an issue with this aproach!

For putting your alarm remote internals into the switchblade key, you will have to look for a system that is small enough to fit in there, the 12v batt someone said here will never fit in there ;)

the switch blade key hold a cr2032 3 volt battery just in case anyone wants to know. Good to know the transporter has a AH profile as that make it even easier to make

The part #'s for the T4 one:

7D0 837 246 D 01C key and switchmechanisme

7D0 959 753 C the button part

I take it both parts are needed.. ?

Any idea of cost?

I take it both parts are needed.. ?

Any idea of cost?

You need both parts, i payed something around 100 euro for it in germany.

You need both parts, i payed something around 100 euro for it in germany.

Hmmm about 70quid - I'll stick with a 2nd hand one for a tenner :-) for the time being and try to hack the immobiliser chip into it :-)

Good to know the part nos. and AH profile ones actually exist though!

Just discovered tthat VAG-COM can talk to my OE immobiliser - cool!

Now I need to read the VAG-COM manual to find out it can help me with my switchblade project at all :-)

Ok so you've got your flip-key ... and you've got a spare key cut to replace the "blade" ... and you've also got your Alarm fob ...

Now I don't see the point of carrying around a flip-key (with three useful buttons) and then also carrying the alarm fob on your key-ring.

Certainly the 3 buttons on the flip-key can be programmed to the same frequency as your alarm ?

Anyone done this ?

Certainly the 3 buttons on the flip-key can be programmed to the same frequency as your alarm ?

Nope they can't :-(

The point of doing this is :

1. gadget factor (cool switchblade!)

2. less trouser pocket wear from the key - rather than alarm fob & sharp key you now have 2 smooth rounded fobs...

8)

...my progress so far - I've had my VW key copied (decided NOT to hack my original VW key to bits), but when I hacked the copy key to bits, there's not enough metal in the critical place for the pin to hold it in the switchblade mechanism :-(

Picture also shows the transponder chip for the immobiliser...

Cheers Chris.

Not too sure I want an extra bulge in my pocket :lol:

What I think might be better to do is get a copy-key cut from a plain metal blank.

That way you're guaranteed to have lots of metal for when making the groove.

Where there's a willy there's a way ... watch this space 8)

Cheers Chris.

Not too sure I want an extra bulge in my pocket :lol:

What I think might be better to do is get a copy-key cut from a plain metal blank.

That way you're guaranteed to have lots of metal for when making the groove.

Where there's a willy there's a way ... watch this space 8)

I take it you haven't got the OE immobiliser then?

Sure you can get an all metal key blank, but then you still need the immobiliser transponder from somewhere...

Well I've got a Logic 900 Total closure alarm fitted.

And my key does have a transponder innit - checked with locksmith.

So then all I do is get a transponder programmed from another key,

cut the transponder out and "insert" it into my switchblade key.

Other solution (non-safe) is to stick the transponder behind the dash.

That way you'll never use it - but I've got an Alarm fitted anyway.

the new switchblade can be programmed to your old immobiliser

basically the new rolling code transponders will also do the old non rolling but not the other way round

work charges half hour to recode

you can do this with vagcom but you need a code from milten keynes and it only works for one day

there is a date code in your brain which changes daily so part of the code does, its a mathmatical calculation of chassis number, immobiliser no and date