Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

"Servo Assisted" brakes and forced induction motor

Driving in to work tonight, a thought struck me - (as I was just daydreaming about supercharging my VR ;-) )

I always thought that servo assistance on brakes worked on the inlet manifold vacuum - but on a forced induction engine, don't you have positive (i.e. greater than atmospheric) pressure in the manifold?

Does the servo work the same? Or is it just wired differently?

Have wondered this as well, the answer I got basically stated that fi cars arent always under boost, when off the accelerator there is a vacuum which builds up for the brakes and there is a valve of some sort to stop the vacuum being lost when under boost.

Good call Joe I couldnt figure that out especially when boosting so I though you really shouldnt be breaking and producing boost at the same time and didnt want to test my weak theory out :lol:

The direction of inlet charge flow will always 'pull' air out of the servo (creating a vacuum) regardless of induction method :lol:

Slapping a turbo on my 16V made absolutely no difference to the way the standard braking setup behaved.

K

In line with the brake servo is a one way valve which allows air to only flow one way. NA cars have a vacuum in the inlet manifold, except at wot.Most forced induction cars work the same.

Jason