Sign in to follow this  
radojunkie

g60 next mod advice

dont know what mod to pick and need some advice as to what mods are easy to complete and offer the best gain? shout out if some are crap or if i missed some out. what you think peeps!?

its runnin sns chip, stage 4 charger, 68mm pulley, stays around 96 oil temp, milltek straight through exhaust, k&n panel filter with drilled bottom of standard airbox and cold air feed.

Options:

was thinking of a cam but dont know whats best etc.?

was thinking of a better crossflow head, poss of a mk4 2.0 gti golf, dont know if this is possible though. or just polished, ported original head?

new throttle body? no idea what to pick

rallye rad? mocal oil cooler + sandwhich plate?

Standard cam is pretty good tbh...

If it's anywhere around 100k miles I would be thinking about doing the conrod bearings and the head gasket (before they need doing)

Maybe get the head off to the man in the shed for some porting.

Oil cooler and RSR are fairly cheap and effective mods. Your oil temp isn't too high but it's best to get a cooler before you take mods further I've heard.

I fitted the jabba one, fits well with minimal cutting. I think there's one up in the parts for sale thread- with rad, fan and boost pipes. If you're happy to sort your own pipes and do some careful measuring, there's loads of different types on ebay

english? :confused4:

i meant to say , the large intercooler from a vwgolf rallye g60 does a splendid job , and can be made to fit reasonbly easy ,but they are jolly expensive

jolly good wot wot, but someone but a reply after you and now it has misteriously vanished!? a case for sherlock holmes an watson me thinks!

right i have a guy thinking of breaking his corrado, he bought a load of performance bits an pieces so most have done 2000 miles.

my car is running 170bhp 177ft lbs of torque.

he has mocal 13 row, newman 268 cam, ebay FMIC (modded to fit), spal slimline fan. willing to part with 230 for the lot

are the parts worth this much money in terms of performance gain?

how much would i be expecting to gain?

and would i be better off with other mods?

those parts are easily worth £230.... performance gains are all relative... the oil cooler won't gain you anything other than extending the life of your engine. The intercooler probably won't GAIN you any BHP, but will stop you loosing it from the boost getting hotter... the cam will probably need a new chip to get the fuelling 100% and get the most out of it...

They're a good starting point, don't get me wrong, but I feel you're looking for numbers from us that are almost impossible to give on the performance gains, as each modification adds to what you've already got, it's not just a "bolt this on to get 12.5 BHP gain" type of scenario...

On your other thoughts earlier in the thread, yeah, they're all not bad ideas, but the cross-flow head won't gain you much other than an empty wallet, lots of headaches and quite a few failed attempts to get stuff to mate together properly... there's a reason that cross flow 8V g60s are rare -> they're not easy to do and don't gain all that much over a standard counter-flow 8V and less than a 16V conversion... ;)

With a G60, the key to getting more power is to make it breath more easily (don't expect tunes to work though! :lol: )... gas flowing the head, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold (or fit a good 4 branch preferably!), throttle body (there's LOTS that can be taken out of the original one to make it flow better), and charger/intercooler/pipework will give you BIG gains both in BHP figures and in pure drivability...

Mine's giving (well, when it's running anyway! :roll: ) 252bhp, but easily competes with 300bhp Jap stuff just purely down to the way that it produces the power and the TORQUE... ;)

Just to emphasize what Henny said really, but big gains come from head work in combination with a good cam, and then if you really want more a capacity increase. The head allows better breathing, but must also be combined with exhaust manifold, and exhaust, and ideally inlet manifold and throttle body. Any restrictions anywhere along the way will result in losses. Also it is very easy to bolt something on and lose power due to the resultant changes in AFR or combustion temps.

Above and beyond what you've mentioned is a capacity increase, but that starts being big money.

To put it into context, my old setup which was a tired old engine (original 1.8), golf G60 FMIC, 65mm pulley, original injectors, RPM head and Piper cam, original exhaust manifold, and aftermarket stainless exhaust made 212bhp. The biggest contributor to that was the head. Get a well flowed fast road head and cam - and then get it tuned to that - and it will have a huge effect. Also above that and you'll need to think about changing the injectors. Now with a new rebuild (1.9l), golf G60 FMIC, flowed head and throttle body, Schrick cam, 4 branch manifold, red injectors and a 68mm pulley it is making 246bhp (and about 222 lbft). To be honest there is more in there, but the injectors are struggling.

I would plump for a bigger intercooler, a bigger core, especially given the stage IV and smaller pulley should give you a couple of BHP through cooler inlet temperatures but like Henny said it is more important in that you have a larger (more stable) intercooler core.

thanks for your replys guys, first g60 so still getting to grips with how a supercharged engine works and how to make safe performance gains, On a budget! but gotta say i have fallen in love :luvlove: wit the noise, the looks and how it holds the road - Awesome -

i think what ill do before trying any injector jobbies is make sure the head is flowed and ported, invest in a larger intercooler, conrods, larger throttle body and a larger bore of the original pipe works, four branch and mocal oil cooler sandwhich plate. (poss new cam)

All i want to do is break the 200bhp barrier and see what happens from there!!! you reckon itll happen with that lot?

a good head flow job, smaller pulley with associated chip and bigger intercooler will see a G60 over 200BHP.... that's about the level where you start to get addicted and striving for more power and spend all your money on it from there on it... :lol:

I'd also vote a decent intercooler - like the Golf G60 one. Does require some work to get it to fit and it isn't cheap but as others have said, will provide consistent performance long after the Corrado's "shoebox" sized one had been heatsoaked to death.

My old Corrado G60 used to run a 68mm pulley, SNS stage 5 chip, 3.5bar FPR and a Golf G60 intercooler and was rolling roaded 3 times across the span of a year and a half and always came out at 207BHP and about 180/190lbft of torque.

As I say, it's expensive and won't net you immediate and obvious gains but as you're coming into the summer, nows the time to think about it.

the only modifications the Golf G60 intercooler (NOT THE RALLYE ONE!) needs is the pipework and a small modification to one of the fixing points on the front of the radiator (it needs cutting off).... other than that, it's plug and play, hence why I have one on mine! :lol:

Definitely worth the money for the Golf G60 one as long as you get the pipework and charger U-bend and support rod with it... :)

You could look at charge cooling for not a huge some of money, I have the kit all ready to go on my G60 as soon as I get a decent weekend of weather (and this weekend looks pretty good right now) Whilst it is about the same cost as the Jabba/Pro Alloy FMIC kit it should be a lot easier to install (bar the wiring) and will be incredibly subtle as the chargecooler is going where the exising intercooler currently lives.

i def think if i hit 200bhp im gonna be propelly addicted too mate, love this car! mates got a vr but the g60, well its just seems alot revier and faster acclerating, though i havent driven one :( yet :D

so how does a charge cooler work, is it in the same way as an FMIC ?

also, any difference in the rallye intercooler to standard golf g60 ?

just one other q, im thinking of getting some new interecooler, radiator pipework made up, which metal should i use i.e. steel/ stainless and what bore of pipe should i be thinking of

Rallye intercooler is the same core size as the Golf G60 one, but the end tanks are completely different and mean that you need to remove the towing eye and bracket from the drivers side front chassis leg to fit it... pain in the ass to be fair... the Golf G60 one just fits straight in... ;)

i def think if i hit 200bhp im gonna be propelly addicted too mate, love this car! mates got a vr but the g60, well its just seems alot revier and faster acclerating, though i havent driven one :( yet :D

so how does a charge cooler work, is it in the same way as an FMIC ?

also, any difference in the rallye intercooler to standard golf g60 ?

just one other q, im thinking of getting some new interecooler, radiator pipework made up, which metal should i use i.e. steel/ stainless and what bore of pipe should i be thinking of

If you think of a standard intercooler as an air to air cooler (the air flowing over the intercooler cools the air inside) then a charge cooler is an air to water cooler. It needs a few more parts (pump, radiator, header tank and charge cooler to make it work but they are a lot more compact and don't suffer from heatsoak like a air to air cooler in traffic. The cooler I have just fitted is suposed to be good for 300bhp with charge air outlet temps at a maximum of 25 degrees above ambient air temp, its all an effort to reduce under bonnet temps rather than any performance gain.

Just finished fitting one to my G60, the only thing I had to cut was the boost pipes, not driven it yet but I would expect to see lower temps. As for reliabilty its too early to tell but as the pump I am using is a Bosch one designed for charge cooling (a turbo too) then I can't see any issues.

See my G60 thread for a few pictures and furthur info.

technically, Yan, a charge cooler is an air to water to air cooler... :p (air flow cools water in a separate radiator, water cools chargecooler unit which cools the air going into the engine...)

An intercooler misses out the water stage and is simply an air to air cooler (the air flowing over the intercooler cools the air inside the intercooler which then goes into the engine)

Definitely worth the money for the Golf G60 one as long as you get the pipework and charger U-bend and support rod with it... :)

Does the Golf G60 support rod have a bend in it to miss the pipework? I'm just in the process in fitting a FMIC and was thinking of making a custon support as its a little tight or just not putting it on at all.

nope, it's shorter and bolts onto the actual U-Bend instead of the charger... :)