Sign in to follow this  
stigma.2000

G60 TRACK DAY CAR

Hi i'm new to this site but look forward to having a good look around

I dont know if its considered sacrilage but I've just aquired a corrado G60 that I want to track day ( I live within walking distance from Brands Hatch) :D

The car is completely standard at the moment to the best of my knowledge

I'm after advice to create as much bhp as possible without breaking the bank??

I'm aware of Jabba & I am probably going for a stage 4 rebuild with a 68mm pulley

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Spence. :rainbowafro:

if you want to track a G60, get the basics right first... and remember, BHP isn't everything on a track... ;)

1) make sure the engine is 100% sound... that includes the charger, which I'd send of to Darren at G-Werks to get it rebuilt (had bad experiences with Jabba), and I'd also get a chip and pulley from him while it's there... Full service with GOOD oil, new cam-belt, new AUX belts, new plugs, new gear oil and all filters (paper filter for the supercharger please, none of those naff cotton cones if you want your charger to last any time at all...

2) uprate/overhaul the brakes... the standard G60 brakes are OK for road use with a standard engine, but once you start hammering them, you'll soon over heat them... getting a set of MKIV rear calipers on will ensure the rears work as intended, and I'd go for a set of the Brembo 305mm 4pot brakes as fitted to the Seat Ibiza cupra which is a bolt on conversion as long as you're running 16" wheels or larger. Also change all the flexy hoses for braded, and use DOT5.1 brake fluid...

3) uprate the suspension... odds are you'll have either no idea what suspension kit is fitted to your car, or the age of it if you've just got it... Change the shocks/springs AND as many of the rubber suspension bushes as you can afford to... that'll help the handling no end and make what is often referred to as "the best handling FWD coupe" handle as it should! This is where spending money will pay off, where buying cheap could well make the car handle worse than before!

4) STRIP! the car that is... ;) get as much un-needed stuff out of the car to make it as light as possible... carpets, rear seats, parcel shelf, speakers, DASH?!?, heaters, passenger seat, sound deadening (you can always put earplugs in!)... there's easily a good 80KG just listed there... you could even sell some of the bits to make some cash back to spend on the rest of the upgrades... ;)

5) tyres... get some decent ones... you don't want brand new road tyres if you're using the car as a track car as you'll simply destroy them on the first session... a good set of half worn, good tyres will do you proud... :)

That should be enough for you to get it on the track and start enjoying it... then it just depends on how much money you can budget for your toy as to where to go next...

Good luck! 8)

I would consider that a Corrado G60 will be a good option, however you will never get away from the fact a Corrado is heavy. It is not so much the size of the car, more the weight of the panels. Good luck but you will be hankering for something smaller soon.

Have a look at this, this is my Mk1 2.0l 8v at Castle Combe last year going past the camera car. It has cheapo ebay coilovers and standard size Mk1 brakes. Look what I am staying ahead of!