8vMatt

My Rado,VR6 Mystic Blue. Going VEGE diet....

shame real shame bout the scratch bud , looked nasty when i saw it , think it will need blending in to sort though :(

Hey Matt, i didn't even realise you had the S3 seats... they are lush! I want a set!!

Been to TSR today, had a Rolling Road test done for the first time. Awesome time and some amazing cars and figures produced, an Audi RS6 had 413bhp, a Leon Cupra R had 364bhp!

My figures aren't as good as most on there today but I'm reasonably happy with what was produced-

BHP-180 exactly

Torque- 168lbs

Was a little surprised at how hard they push the cars to get the figures, suppose they have to, to get the right readings. Mine revved to 6590rpm :gag:

A couple pics and a quick Vid of mine-

IMG_0139-1.jpg

IMG_0136-1.jpg

th_MVI_0137.jpg

weird i was there that day but dont remember seeing this i cant beleive i missed it! cant find it in any of the pics were you a late comer? .... i had the yellow cupra...

DSCI0071.jpg

Hi Nick,

I enjoyed that RR day a lot, think I remember seeing your one. All the Seats had good power to them. I did pop out for a long lunch with friends and as soon as I came back was called up to the rollers, might be why you missed it? Hope you had the results you wanted.

Car's looking good mate, shame about the scratch though :mad: little feckers. I had my wing mirror smashed off once, which wouldn't have bothered me so much if they hadn't dented the door in the process.... looking forward to seeing the interior pics. :D

Small update as not much has happened lately :roll:

I've been thinking about this scratch I've acquired. I have some VW touch up paint on its way from ebay. So I think I have a vague idea on what to do but any solid advice is most welcome.

I'm hoping to get my ABS pump changed over soon as well, so any advice on that is great as well guys.

Also noticed I've not taken any good after paint pics, so once the chance comes along, a good clean is in order.

cars looking really well mate. looks like a nice shopping list you have gfot goin!

Thankyou very much sir, appreciate it. I know what you're saying about the shopping list :gag: . Got some of the stuff already, just need to get the time to start doing the jobs.

hey mate, my shoppin list is bigger than yours :lol: i will start strippin the valver durin the week if no work comes in , can only do early saturday morning as want to take the kids skating. will also be at naths garage in evenings as he has been told to shift c asap, so feel free to pop along and get your hands dirty.

At last, had a productive weekend doing jobs on the car. Don't normally get chance to do anything to it for the last few months. Better weather and needing to do things made sure this was a good time to get started.

Firstly, found a dead battery. Been suspect for a while and the cold weather must have killed it off. Had to be a brand new Bosch one with good amps. 64ah I think. Pricey but looks the business.

Thanks goes out to Nath (C488ADO) for helping me with changing the front and gearbox mounts. The old ones didn't look to be in bad condition. I've been collecting parts for ages and thought it would be best to just carry on and fit them. The front one is a brand new VW one, good old OE! The gearbox one is a Vibratechnics solid job. I know some people want to use the mk2 Golf diesel one but I thought this would help with good gearchanges and it gives the engine a good solid feel. This is the case, you can feel a slight vibration come through but not overpowering but the change is now very clear and positive. Very pleased with the improvement.

Had an easy time changing the front Brembo pads. There's only a bar to slide out of the way and a spring clip to remove. After that, just lift the pads out, I'm lucky having these calipers. My brother explained how much more difficult other calipers can be to change to pads. Put a set of Brembo pads on, so much better than what I've had on there.

Didn't have as much luck with reconnecting the reverse lights. They haven't been connected since the car went from Auto to Manual. Found out which wires are the right ones, bought a correct plug a while ago. Soldered them together but nothing. No lights and not too much of an idea of where to go with it now. Calling Nath!!!

Found and solved an air leak after the air flow meter, think its on the return pipe. I had been suffering from stalling a bit recently and this has taken care of that problem pretty much completely.

I'm a happy chap with taking care of the old girl again :dance:

Well I went a little mad down at the local TPS and a couple of internet sites collecting parts for fitment and for crucial stock (thats what my brother calls hoarding of parts!). Firstly I needed to get everything needed for the mk4 rear brake changeover.

Rear Discs 357615601B

Bearings 191598625

ABS rings 1J0614149

mk4 pads 1J0698451P

Carrier bolts N0199123

Cover 1H0501639

Now just a few parts for a rainy day.

Synta oil ZGB115QLB00406

Coolant G012A8GM1

Screenwash ZGB00QSWC05L

White grease ZGB00QWG00400

19" Wiper blades (front) ZGB00Q955525J

Brake cleaner dispensor ZGB00QBCCDISP

5Ltrs Brake cleaner ZGB00QBCC005L

Also bought some of the Irwin bolt removers just incase I might need them and a pair of Goodridge braided hoses for the mk2- mk4 conversion. Don't buy them off ebay, cheapest were £68. Amazon is the place to find them- £28 delivered and they arrived on the tues after I ordered sunday. Very happy with them.

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

nice one mate nice to see the c getting some tlc , mind you , you owe her that for leaving her outside in the cold and wet lol. regards rob

Cheers guys,

Most of the brakes parts are fitted now, I'll update about the mk4 calipers going on.

Cazza, the abs rings were £11+vat.

The mk4 rear calipers have now been fitted. A few little hiccups along the way but for actual fitment, it all went like clockwork :smug:.

Stripdown showed everything to be in surprisingly good condition, I expected the disc guard to be rusting away as I think it could be original or at least not changed for a long time.

IMG_1062.jpg

The old shagged out disc with lots of grinding from an equally knackered pad :bonk:

IMG_1064.jpg

Had a bit of fun removing the caliper bolts but luckily they shifted in the end. Glad I bought new ones. Then found a couple of the carrier bolts had seized in the sleeve due to water ingress, what a job they were to free. Built the new discs up with the bearings and re-assembled no troubles. The Goodridge hoses were spot on and fitted great.

All back together-

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Had a few troubles with bleeding, air in the system. My mechanic mate came over today and brought his proper bleeding kit. Wow, what an amount of air that came out of there! Much better now but its still a bit spongy. I think things will settle down after a couple hundred miles. But as a conversion, this was pretty straight forward and will prove to be a good move.

As I've now bought an old Passat estate for work and family duties, the C hasn't been driven hardly at all. I met up with a new friend who turns out to have been trained by a VW master technician. Very handy to know! I asked him to give my car a look over and see if its healthy or needs anything doing to it. He reported that the engine seemed to be in good nick. I told him about the spongy brakes, almost immediately he found the trouble. The brake compensator just in front of the rear subframe. When I looked at it, it was broken away from the bracket holding it and moving as the brake peddle was being pushed. There is an audible whoosing noise also from it when braking. I picked up all new bracket, bolts, sleeves etc from TPS, they quoted £150 +vat for the compensator. I have found one on ebay, £65 and new but don't know whether its any good or not? Anyone know if its worth trying or stick to TPS?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-MK3-GTI-VR6-CORRADO-BRAKE-PRESSURE-REGULATOR-C72-/200574636409?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb32e1179

Think ATE are the same as what VW use from what I read before.

Euro car parts does an ATE compensator aswell for £86.40 but use discount code SERVICE30 the price is then £60.48.

Wow thanks for that info, £60 compared to £180. Thats the sort of savings I like :dance: Glad to know its the right item to get fitted.

What am I getting my self into :bonk:

Today I spent the day collecting all the parts needed to carryout the OBD2 conversion:dance: All came from a breaking late Golf VR6. Sure I've got everything needed and will spend my recovery time stripping the new loom down and checking against Nath's OBD2 thread of what I have to keep. Got the self amalgamating tape to make up the new loom. I have to admit I've got near to zero car electrics knowledge but feel confident to give this a good go, I think there will be a few scary moments along the way for me. You have to learn about these cars to get the most enjoyment out of them. Looking forward to the rollercoaster ride this will give me :scratch:.

Pics and progress coming up.......

will be worth it in the end bud . will be around to lend a hand , not that i know anymore than you but to heads are better than one . follow the rules and you should be ok . regards rob

Just getting into the business of loom chopping. Think I was over eager and hacked a plug I need, Nath is coming over on thurs to double check. Good job I've bought a soldering iron now :bonk:. Only part way through doing the loom due to not getting much spare time to spend on it.

Check out the high levels of concentration :scratch:

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg