Sign in to follow this  
Stevo-M

Are these 'chips any good?

I didn't think the chip controlled the RPM limit, I thought it was determined by a crystal on the board. Can anyone clarify?

The 2L (9A engine) KE-Jet ECU is quite different to the 1.8 KR one and can be re-mapped for ignition and fuelling to a certain extent, so I think that's the difference, the crystal on the 1.8 circuit board doesn't just set the rev limit either, it will stretch out the whole ignition map up to the new rev limit if changed, so re-mapping the 2L ECU would be far better.

Only thing is, there's little point in changing the map without configuring it to the particular car on a rolling road, by fitting this you might well just overfuel and over advance the ignition.

The map should be written to suit the engine, not the other way round.

I'm not saying it won't work, but if you want to safely tweak the fueling and ignition, the best way would be to get a custom map specificaly for your engine.

Just bought one of these, damn ebay vouchers making me buy things i dont want/need! But i wont be able to give it a try for a while, im trying to get hold of a spare (and cheap) ecu to put it in to see what it'll do whilst keeping my old one safe and unmolested. (i get paranoid about cheap ebay jobbies that may end up costing me a fortune by ruining the car!)

Is there any other dangers this chip might pose to the car other than damaging the ecu? And im planning on fitting some ABF cams in the future when the car is in the garage, this shouldnt have any adverse affects with the chip should it? (sorry im a newbie to engine mods but im slowly learning)

Thanks,

Kunaal

Assuming it does not damage the ECU, and works correctly, the final concern is that the ignition and fueling are correct for the engine.

If the ignition timing is too advanced you will get pinking or pre-ignition, which can cause some major damage to the engine, by basically firing too early and trying to push the piston back down before passing top dead centre. If the ignition timing is too retarded you will loose power and efficiency.

The fueling has to be correct, too lean and temperatures in the combustion chamber will be increased causing possible serious damage, too rich and it will use loads of fuel and damage the cat if you have one fitted.

Spoke to the guy on ebay about this chip, he says it only advances the timing by a few degrees so no real risk of pinking and he said the fuelling is not controlled by the chip. Since it's mechanical injection, it's controlled by the plate under the airbox. So hopefully no danger of under or over fueling.

I managed to get hold of a spare cheap ecu, into which i've fitted the new chip. Swapped it with the standard one and so far so good. It doesnt seem to be pinking. Only done one small journey so far and she seemed to have a little bit more go in her at higher revs.

Doing a long journey on friday so ill be able to give it a good test run and see how thirsty she now is.

Will update.

Kunaal

I am also planning on putting some abf cams in at some point. The guy who sells the chip says i will need it re-programmed after i put the cams in, as this will change the timing.

Anyone know is this is true?

The only reason i doubt it is because i didnt think i really needed a re-map if i put KR or ABF cams in the 9a.

Thanks for your help,

Kunaal

Took her on a long drive to norwich and back this weekend. Definately some good improvement at the top end. Took the car to the old mans garage and he said the engine was running fine, no pinking or anything, idles fine. She may have lost a weency bit of at low revs.

And for some reason shes giving me more mpg??? Is this possible????

So all in all worked out very well. Will probably be selling this chip when i put the abf cams in and i use the other chip. So let me know if anyone is interested.

Kunaal