Sign in to follow this  
dtjames

Engine Mounts?

Happy New Year all :D

ENQUIRY:

How will I know if my engine mounts need changing or upgrading?

How much will it cost?

Anything to look out for?

Cheers all :wink:

If the engine moves "significantly" when you apply driving force against the hand-brake.

How much is ok? Well you will see *some* movement, but it shouldn't be more than a few millimetres in any direction (note that you can't tell if the rear engine mounts are screwed unless you do this test in *reverse* gear)..

Also note that VRs (and maybe others, don't know) have oil-filled engine mounts at the rear, so look out for dark, sticky oil on the rear subframe - this is a give-away that your mount has blown.

Prices? Not too much. OEM mounts can be had for about £30 each and fitting is less than an hour per mount.

Upgrades? Not my cup of tea, but you'll probably find that new OEM or VW mounts drastically improve matters, so why upgrade?

Also note that if your engine is moving around a lot on ageing or broken mounts you will start to see engine hoses dying from the extra stretching - that can get expensive!!

Worst case scenario is cracking the exhaust manifold down-pipes. £198 + VAT!! :shock:

HTH.

On the subject of mounts, Turn2 have a 20% off sale at the moment, I just ordered a Gbox mount which works out at about £17 after shipping.

Sorry Matt but the VR6 rear is solid rubber. It's the same as the upper front mount.

As shown in the pic, the OE mount compresses and softens with age.

My VR uses a Vibratechnics front mount and a Turn2 H/D rubber gearbox mount, standard rear mount. No extra vibration, just a securely held motor.

Keeping the motor still aids handling as you don't have a dead weight moving about and upsetting the balance.

K

The gearbox mount on mine was oil filled. Dont think the rear mount is though but that hasnt needed replaced yet.

There are 3 mounts, if you stand in front of your corrado with your knees touching the front number plate:

Front mount is directly under your nose!

Gearbox (rear) mount is to your right at the back of the engine bay

Rear engine mount is to your left at the back of the engine bay.

The front mounts are the ones that usually let go first, followed by the gearbox and then rear mounts. None of them (on an 4Cyl car at least) are particularly bad to do, just a bit fiddly with access to them... Dunno about how hard they are to do on a VR6, as I've never worked on one...

Hope this helps... 8)