Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Alloy wheel weight

Hi all,

Can anyone give me an idea what would be an average weight of a 16x7.5 and 16x9 alloy wheel?

Also, what would be a light wheel in each of those sizes and what would be an over heavy wheel in those sizes?

Also can anyone tell me how much OE Speedline alloys weigh?

Cheers

Gaz

On most alloys, for every 1J width you add it increases wheel weight by 1Kg, so your 16x9s will be pretty heavy.

On most alloys, for every 1J width you add it increases wheel weight by 1Kg, so your 16x9s will be pretty heavy.

:( So thats 9kg plus the weight of the tyre and air... 18-19kg maybe? The fronts are only 7.5 wide so maybe they will be sub 16kg?

How much will having heavier wheels affect performance/handling?

Sorry mate, I didn't explain that very well.

It's not 1Kg per inch of width as a rule because material weights and densities differ, but what I meant was if you took say an 8Kg 7 x 16 wheel as a baseline, a similar style wheel in 8 x 16 size would be 9Kg and 9 x 16 could be 10Kg or more.

Going up in diameter doesn't really affect weight much with modern materials, it's just the width that gets you.

Heavy wheels can cause a lazy turn-in and make the car feel less accelerative and more lethargic in general.

Optimum wheels for a C imo are 16 x 7 and 17 x 7.

Are you racing?

If not, then just forget weight and put a touch more confidence in your premium rubber. Next you'll be ripping out the back seat. IMO the 16's give best road performance in relation to tyre accommodation; the tyre wont be too squidgy as standard, but supple enough to soak some bumps (unlike a 40/17).

If you are racing, then get your butt into the shop and weigh them.

Nope was just curiosity to be honest. Wondered what the wheels i have on now weigh compared to the standard speedlines and if it would affect the cars performance. I wouldnt normally be too bothered put with having 9j on the rears then it got me thinking about how the car would be affected.

i found my 17" 7.5 bbs rc's a much improved ride over my 16" 7.5 avez a copy's, i'm guessing my copy wheels are very heavy. might be the difference between khumo and bridgestone tyres aswell.

hell no; the difference in tyre weight will be minimal. I'd rather shop for grip on tyres, not weight. These sound like thoughts you have when staring out to sea when waiting to get off the ferry.

I think Zeal was saying the ride was better becuase he changed tyre brand. The brand might offer either a softer ride or firmer; I cannot be sure which, as its all down to Zeal's oppinion. Personally I like a stiff side wall on my tyre, reducing flex and slip-angle, but I prefer the 16-wheel to allow more tyre wall and cushion - sounds odd (contrary) but some people get it.

:lol: i wasnt implying that i'd buy a tyre because its lighter... that would be silly. As you say Stuart, you dont buy tyres on how much they weigh but for the grip.

Im just talking about weight added to the car, due to different wheels, tyres, tyre size etc.

But obviously 90% of it will be down to what wheels you run.