Sign in to follow this  
mikewilson

electric window issue

This is a fun problem......My electric window work but only when the drivers door is open!!

Once they start opening I can close the door and they come down automatically, but to put either window up I need to open the drivers door again.

The full closure works when I'm locking the car. I've had a peek behind the drivers door panel and the wires into the switch look ok and unbroken....any ideas? It's too hot!!! :(

Sounds like a loose/broken/uninsulated wire somewhere. I think you'll just have to start removing trim and eliminating the possibilities.

Iv`e Got this exact problem too, you have to open the door while your driving to open the window :) Have replaced the fuse with a higher amp (not a good idea) and it lasts a bit longer but not much :?

Only the later cars as far as I know - when you lock the car with the key, hold the key in the same position once you've turned it in the lock and the windows and sunroof should close.

Only the later cars as far as I know - when you lock the car with the key, hold the key in the same position once you've turned it in the lock and the windows and sunroof should close.

Ooo learn something every day!

Ah mine may have been an after thought then as its a 1990 so quite early. Although it is done via the key turn+hold manoeuvre. I'll start stripping the beast this weekend :(

ALL corrados with electric windows allow the windows to be operated via the switch when the drivers door is open even if the ignition is off... the idea being that you don't need to have the key in the ignition to get the windows to work, so as you leave the car, the driver can close (or open) either window before closing the door...

If you windows are ONLY working when the door is open, then it sounds to me like the window control module (behind the rear drivers side "door" card) has lost it's ignition live feed so doesn't know when the ignition is live and therefore to allow the windows to work while the door is shut... Stripping the door down will be a futile effort, as the problem won't be there... ;)

Take the rear door card off and check for an ignition live on the multiplug that goes into the window control module... if there isn't one, trace the wiring back to the fuse box and find out which wire has died, which fuse has blown, or which relay has stopped working off the X relay... Of course, if there is an ignition live there, then it could just be that the control module has died! :lol:

mine is an early one and does it :o

Seems it was the window control module. Henny you are a god :notworthy:

You're welcome... Glad I could help... 8)

mine is an early one and does it :o

Yup, if you have electric windows (factory fit ones) then they should close on the key too... :)

How much are the window control modules

Unless you want a heart attack, don't ask VW for a price... :ignore: I sold one not long ago for not a lot (think it was less than £20 from memory), and they crop up from time to time in the for sale section here... just make sure you get one with the same part number on it, although I seem to remember it's the same part for all years... :)

If you windows are ONLY working when the door is open, then it sounds to me like the window control module (behind the rear drivers side "door" card) has lost it's ignition live feed so doesn't know when the ignition is live and therefore to allow the windows to work while the door is shut...

Yep. Worth noting also is that when you stop and turn the ignition off, power is maintained to the windows for, erm, 30 mins or so for the reasons Henny mentioned. After this time you should hear a hollow "Pong" noise from the rear of the car, which is a relay inside the controller box cutting power to the windows. If you then open the door again, you should get another "pong" and power is restored.

There's a good few brown/white wires around the door light switch area (in front of fusebox). Some of these are earths and one or two are for the window controller and another is for the courtesy light. Alarm fitters often tap into the wrong wire, which can get the window controller in a muckin fuddle.

Just needs a bit of Poirot action with a Multimeter. Failing that, a new controller should sort it as Henny said!