Martyn_McG

smoking steering column!!

sorry if this has been documented before but a few days ago when i turned the ignition on a small puff of smoke wondered up from behind the steering wheel.

anyway as is usually best with a corrado problem i convinced myself it was just some dust and pretended it never happened, unfortunately it happened a few more times and fearing a horrible electrical fire i decided it best to pull the steering column to bits.

so, after a lot of arsing about i traced it back to the wiper stalk mechanism, it was actually giving off a spark at the contact points when you turn the ignition (and as i found with my investigating when you wiggle the wiper stalk) and burning its way through some of the plastic (bad times).

i bodged about with it for a bit and now it dosent seem to be doing it for the moment, needless to say i will be getting a replacement and swapping it out as soon as possible.

so has anybody else had this trouble? is it a design flaw?

i probably should have taken a picture of it before i put everything back together :?

Mine used to do this - not done it for a while though now, I'd forgotten about it.

I just ignored it and it seemed to go away. I put it down to dust burning off some of the electrical contacts.

I had this in my mk3...

Never bothered me enough to locate what it was tho it only happened 3-4 times in 4yrs!

I had this on a mk3 too. Turns out it was a short in the wiper stalk which ended up melting the plastic and stopping the wipers working all together.

I`d get a new stalk now so if it does give up the ghost you can replace it quickly, instead of what i did and leave it until it stopped working and then was only able to drive it when it wasnt raining

This happened to me too a few months ago. It only happened once though so I chose to ignore it until it became more of an issue and concentrate on the other more important things.

happened to me recently and once before a while ago, both times it was raining and I was waiting to pick somebody up so I would go along with the wiper stalk idea

all of my Corrados have done this. Its the wiper stalk in all probability. I've changed the stalk on each of my cars after it got worse and really started smoking.

I think if ur a good driver, like me, that indicates alot, ie when over taking etc this is to be expected :lol:

This happened to me too a few months ago. It only happened once though so I chose to ignore it until it became more of an issue and concentrate on the other more important things.

Well, 18 months later, The wipers have now stopped working.

Ill pull the steering collumn apart tonight and see what is happening. Is there a repair, or do I need a new stalk?

Sometimes the grease becomes too dirty on the horn contact ring and contact finger with VW's. Take the steering wheel off and clean the grease off. Clean the metal contact ring and finger contact with Scotch Brite or similar. Reapply some vaseline not bearing grease.

Yep. Thats what I figured it was last time. But now the wipers (front and rear) have stopped working, I guess it was something else.

I am not an electronics expert but surely sticking a bigger fuse in than needed really isn't the best way to deal with it :D

I had this problem on my mk3 golf that was doing this, as mentioned already, it was the indicator or wiper stalk, can't remember which. It was basically burning the metal out.

Asked at the garage and the lad behind the parts counter said he had no idea if it was a common problem but one of the mechanics said it was. Anyway, replacement stalk stopped the issue :)

check the stalks. wiper one is the most common to go. need to take it off completely and see if the connections have melted.

doh! just read the first page of this, love the new forum! change the stalk because it will be fooked. veedubmachine do a pretty much spot on non genuine one for a reasonable price (£18 ish i think).

then put the correct fuse in so it doesnt set your dash on fire!!