Sign in to follow this  
rmn

Gearboxes

does anybody know of the ratios of the various gearboxes,

8v, 16v, G60, VR6, 1.8, 2.0

I am just trying to see whats the most suitable box for my 16v G60 parts collection!

Thanks

Richard

I can't find 8V ratios, but the below are from one of my Golf books, which may or may not be correct. I'm a tad dubious about the VR6 ratios....but it's a rough idea at least!

16V to 92:

1 - 3.40

2 - 2.12

3 - 1.44

4 - 1.13

5 - 0.91

FD - 3.68

16V 92 on:

1 - 3.78

2 - 2.21

3 - 1.43

4 - 1.03

5 - 0.84

FD - 3.68

G60:

1 - 3.78

2 - 2.12

3 - 1.34

4 - 0.97

5 - 0.76

FD - 3.67

VR6:

1 - 3.78

2 - 2.12

3 - 1.46

4 - 1.03

5 - 0.84

FD - 3.67

K

thanks kev, the golf boxes were rod change, but are those the cable change or rod change boxes?

I know the post 92 were cavle in the golf

thanks

Richard

thanks kev, the golf boxes were rod change, but are those the cable change or rod change boxes?

I know the post 92 were cavle in the golf

thanks

Richard

MK3 16V has a cable box. MK3 8V is rod change.

Gavin

MK3 16V has a cable box. MK3 8V is rod change.

Gavin

i didnt realise that, never even driven a mk3 8v(not a real gti) :lol:

I think i am looking at eithert mk3 16v or a corrado 1.8 16v box.

I want to keep a 16v g60 on song as much as poss, and i think the g60 box has gears that are too long for quick accel.

any opinions, kev did you run a standard 16v box in your old one?

I think i am looking at eithert mk3 16v or a corrado 1.8 16v box.

I want to keep a 16v g60 on song as much as poss, and i think the g60 box has gears that are too long for quick accel.

I actually think that the g60 box isnt long enough for a modified 8v g60 engine, rule it out completely for the 16v g60. The 8v may have lower peak torque than the 16v, but I think it is more constant/sustained through the range, so the longer ratios exploit this.

The 16v will have a steeper power curve, perhaps you should look at re-housing the mk2 16v ratios in an 02a or later case, and increasing the final drive. This will keep the gears nice and close to keep the engine in its power band, but not be too short to run out too quick.

i was also thinking of the 02j 6 speed box, but they seem a bit too pricey at the moment,

I know what your saying about the g60 box and that was what i feared, you are changing the charicteristics of the engine, so the box wont suit.

I know someone running a gemini 6 speed conversion, but i dont have that sort of money at the moment!

any ideas on the suitability of the 02j on a forced induction 16v anyone?

to find the ratio's of the O2A box you need to check the rest of the gear box code as there are loads of veriants however they all have the same final drive ratio

No they don't. the 2.8 VR6 has a 3.3 final drive, and some passats have a 3.94 final drive (which I have in my VR6 box). theres a 4.2 final drive too.

I see what you mean. hmm maybe.

I was looking in an old copy of pvw and i saw you car Jason, nice!

i might have a few q's on the way you have things positioned

Stealth have recommeded a g60 final drive in my golf vr to shorten the ratios - mind you the golf's are too long as standard :(

Yep, he's right, the 3.3 is awful.

Just go for the 3.94, it's quality, the cars pulls like mad in every gear, it's like having another 50BHP on tap.

Beleive me phat, after reading many of your posts about this I am very tempted to do just that - you are right, this is a big performance problem which stiffles the car. I am just worried that 3.94 may be too short as its still my daily car (not a racer like your old mk2) and whether I will ever bother with a turbo or S/C if I get this done. Mind you, I may not care about the turbo if the gearing is that short !!

I am going to ask a stupid question at this point........

The larger final drive, gives a lower overall gear ration, the larger the gear on the mainshaft, the larger the overall gear ration......

am I right? I am thinking of bicycles here.....small ring at front = small gear, larger gear at rear (final drive) = small gear

there fore on a mod'd 8v g60, I actually want a smaller final drive? (and slightly closer ratios!!)

I am going to ask a stupid question at this point........

The larger final drive, gives a lower overall gear ration, the larger the gear on the mainshaft, the larger the overall gear ration......

am I right? I am thinking of bicycles here.....small ring at front = small gear, larger gear at rear (final drive) = small gear

there fore on a mod'd 8v g60, I actually want a smaller final drive? (and slightly closer ratios!!)

The difference being there are only 2 gear wheels in use on a bicycle, so the relationship is more direct....i.e 52 Teeth at the front + 13 teeth at the back = Tall!

But on motorbikes and cars, there are 3 gear wheels in use when driving the road wheels.....Input shaft gear, output shaft gear and Final Drive. The Motorbike's final drive is the rear sprocket, the car's is the crown wheel in the diff housing, which forms part of the planetry gear cluster.

It is the culmination of all 3 that sets the 'overall' gearing......changing the FD lowers the whole gearbox....changing individual gears only affects that particular speed.

I think I've got that right....... :roll:

K