Sign in to follow this  
adamsimmons

Removing wishbones from VR6

Hi,

I'm fairly new on here, and enjoying reading up all the good things that everyone has written about how to do things to improve the corrado.

I have just purchased some eibach ARB's for the front and rear, I thought it would be a good idea to replace the wishbones on the front and the bushes on the rear. The bit that I am struggling with is working out how to remove the drivers side wishbone. I can't see how you can remove it with out either dropping the subframe or removing the sump. Obviously, I wouldn't like to do to either as it seems a bit silly to remove either just to change what would be a serviceable item.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

What a ball ache just to remove the wishbone. Would you recommend replacing the wishbones or polybushes as I'm undecided on which option to take.

Cheers guys

Yep, undo the rear mounting bolt and jack the engine up a few inches - I did that and it only took a couple of mins.

Now - how dare you open the bushes debate once more! It's a personal choice thing. Some swear blind by them and others say it's terrible and stresses other things.

Straight poly bushes will be harsh, but the powerflex ones seem OK and they advertise that they are of a blend that are not harsh and the std rubber ones are, well, std.

Personally I have used powerflex bushes on a couple of Golf GTIs and my VR6 and rate them highly. The only thing to remember is that the VR6 has the same wishbones as the Golf VR6 and needs the bushes for that and not the ones that powerflex list for the corrado as they are for the narrower track 8/16v engine models (though the front bushes are the same).

You pays your money and takes your choice...

Or have the best of both worlds and use R32 bushes, not as hard as poly bushes but miles better than the schitty standard design which just squidge around even when new because of the stupid holes in them!

That's the big rear wishbone bush i'm talking about btw.

Also worth noting that the wishbones will only slide out towards the front of the car.

Whacking them with a mallet to get them in sideways doesn't work. Trust me.

Also worth noting that the wishbones will only slide out towards the front of the car.

Whacking them with a mallet to get them in sideways doesn't work. Trust me.

Agreed, so you need good clearance to be able to get the wishbone at the right angle to slide it in!