Sign in to follow this  
gregulate

Quick tyre question......

Having dragged my VR through the MOT the only advisory was the tread on all tyres are 2mm, so need to replace. Just noticed the dunlops on my speedys are 205/55/15 - should i be replacing with 205/50 ????

I would. I had 205/50s on my Speedlines - i think thats the size they came out of the factory. Not sure why youd want 205/55s on them :shrug:

I would. I had 205/50s on my Speedlines - i think thats the size they came out of the factory. Not sure why youd want 205/55s on them :shrug:

My guess is its because they're cheaper - the guy I bought the car from put the tyres on shortly before I bought from him. I like these dunlops though so will try and get the same or Toyos I think.

Another q....is my speedo reading correctly with the 55's on??

My guess is its because they're cheaper - the guy I bought the car from put the tyres on shortly before I bought from him. I like these dunlops though so will try and get the same or Toyos I think.

Another q....is my speedo reading correctly with the 55's on??

According to the tyre calculator http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp it'll be reading 72.5mph when youre travelling at 70mph.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Cheers pal :salute:

No worries :D

Try Blackcircles.com just got a good deal on some toyos myself, albeit different size (195/45 16s)

Try Blackcircles.com just got a good deal on some toyos myself, albeit different size (195/45 16s)

Cheap website - discount on the dunlops when you buy 4, but doesn't look like they do toyos in that size. Will shop around a bit but best price I've seen.......cheers again !

Call me mad, but I run 195/50/15s as I could get 2 or 3 fitted for the price of 1 205/50/15. I have never noticed any real difference in grip from it. As they are on the same width rim the actual contact area with the road should not really be any different.

Cue heated discussion...

No heat required

be chilled and read the wiki HERE if in doubt. Basically it doesnt mention a 205/55/15. but yes 205/50 and 195/50 both work on the normal rims (widths 6 and 6.5).

8)

Big advantage of 205s on the VR is it's much harder to kerb the wheels. And the contact patch is 1cm wider (5%). Does it make much difference? Probably not. But TBH why screw with running non-standard tyres for the sake of saving a few quid? 205/50/15s Toyo Proxes are about £60 each (if you can find them).

Harder to kerb the wheels - agreed.

The difference in contact area works out to be negliable (certainly less 1cm) as they are attached to the same width rim which either helps spread the 195 out or holds the 205 in, depending on your point of view.

Working for a sports car manufacturer gives access to staff deals from suppliers and the promotion when I was buying was on 195/50/15s which worked out at £18.50 each inc VAT. Not bad for a major brand!

Against £78 for the 205 of the same tyre (205s not on promotion), no contest.

P.S. TBH - what on earth does that mean? I dont do shorthand texting, so I have no idea. A quick ask around the office gave me no answers. :brickwall:

Harder to kerb the wheels - agreed.

The difference in contact area works out to be negliable (certainly less 1cm) as they are attached to the same width rim which either helps spread the 195 out or holds the 205 in, depending on your point of view.

Working for a sports car manufacturer gives access to staff deals from suppliers and the promotion when I was buying was on 195/50/15s which worked out at £18.50 each inc VAT. Not bad for a major brand!

Against £78 for the 205 of the same tyre (205s not on promotion), no contest.

P.S. TBH - what on earth does that mean? I dont do shorthand texting, so I have no idea. A quick ask around the office gave me no answers. :brickwall:

TBH - To Be Honest :wink:

No contest !!

195 as said (and given link) work fine. Personally I've tried both and was happier with the 205 Rainsports over the 195 Dunlop 9000's I had before, but thats just IMO (in my oppinion, hahaa).