Sign in to follow this  
ToniH

Any major difference between 92/93 VR6's?

Hi, a new guy here :)

I am seeking a Corrado VR6 for myself. I've found couple of cars that were interesting enough to get a closer look but they did not pass my inspection ;) They were both 93 models.

Today I found one that sounds interesting, it is a 92 model. Is there any reason I should not buy a 92 compared to 93 if the condition and mileage is equal? Did they do any noteworthy improvements for model year 93?

Two more questions concerning VR6 equipment: is the sliding roof standard or optional and what about traction control?

Thanks,

Toni

Hi ToniH,

Welcome to the forum...

The earlier VR6 has a distributer cap but, same engine. Not sure about anything else really!

All Corrado's should have a tilt'n'slide however, they are a fickel thing and will break at some stage. The first thing to go is the slide. The traction control came on G60 and VR6 Corrados during 92 (I think). In my opinion it makes little or no difference. Its a very primitive system linked to the ABS and only works under 25mph.

VW also changed some of the dash buttons (rounded slightly) and heater controls (three round switches instead of slide controls). They made a few cosmetic changes to the front as well i.e. new 3 bar grill & flush fitting fog & indicator lights.

Take your time and get what you want....

Good Luck

Hi ToniH,

All Corrado's should have a tilt'n'slide however, they are a fickel thing and will break at some stage. The first thing to go is the slide.

Take your time and get what you want. There's actually a very good VR for sale in the forum. Check the for sale section

hi tonih

if its a finnish spec then the sunroof might have been an option as it was a standard fit on uk-spec vr6's.....all 92 vr6's will also have the earlier style dashboard(mk2 golf-type heater controls,white needles on instruments etc)

hth

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Ok, so early cars have distributor and later cars DIS. This happened in 93? Distributors are familiar and easily serviceable technology but what about VW DIS? any good/bad things to say about it?

> There's actually a very good VR for sale in the forum. Check the for sale section

Yes I did but it has couple of things that makes it unsuitable for me: it is RHD I believe, it is in Scotland (?) and I am in Finland ;) and it is a bit too new for me. Our car taxation makes it little too expensive for me at the moment. I plan to buy a decent 92-93 from mid Europe, import it and end up with total of about £6000-6200. Then I have some spare money to fix and service it.

No Finnish spec car for me, too few to choose from and those few are too expensive (£10K). :( Any pics of the early/late style dashboards?

Toni

DIS is very reliable and in my opinion a good thing! VR6s can occasionally suffer from a mis-fire if the plug leads are not pressed fully home. You get a little plastic tool (should be on the bonnet prop) with the car for removing/re-inserting the plug leads.

A lot of engine controls and sensors can be checked via a computer by plugging it into the multi-pin plug under the gear lever shroud. A good bit of software for this can be purchased from http://www.ross-tech.com and it's called VAG-COM, which is a generic application for fault diagnosis of VAG engines post OBDI.

VAG-COM is invaluble as it told me my cam sensor was dead, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

The Corrado has a number of common problems, most of which are covered on the forum, but if you get stuck, just ask and someone will be able to assist! Happy hunting!

Kev

94 VR6

DIS is very reliable and in my opinion a good thing! VR6s can occasionally suffer from a mis-fire if the plug leads are not pressed fully home. You get a little plastic tool (should be on the bonnet prop) with the car for removing/re-inserting the plug leads.

A lot of engine controls and sensors can be checked via a computer by plugging it into the multi-pin plug under the gear lever shroud. A good bit of software for this can be purchased from http://www.ross-tech.com and it's called VAG-COM, which is a generic application for fault diagnosis of VAG engines post OBDI.

VAG-COM is invaluble as it told me my cam sensor was dead, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

The Corrado has a number of common problems, most of which are covered on the forum, but if you get stuck, just ask and someone will be able to assist! Happy hunting!

Kev

94 VR6

A couple of things different between the 92/93 models....

Interior controls, etc different - most switches, heater, etc

Also on 93 onwards VW strengthened the syncho by using different materials.. as 92 VR6's were suffering from crunchy gearboxes - every 92 model I drove seemed to confirm this - do a couple of fast gear changes from 1st to 2nd.... then 3rd to 2nd to check this - its usually second gear that goes first...

Exterior door handles are different - if only ergonmically!

Dash board clocks are different design as is the steering wheel....

Thats about it really.... I'd go for the 93 model if poss as like said it has DIS which is one less (?) thing to worry about as no moving parts! - very reliable but like said mis-fires can be caused by bad leads, iffy plugs...

And if serious about buying then get somebody to check out the ECU with VAG COM to read codes off...

Like said you wont realise what a dead camshaft sensor is .... but its not good... it retards the timing into limp home mode as it cannot tell when TDC is at no#1 or no#6... this means you will be well down on power - it will also fry the plugs.... had a mate of a mates storm whos was doing this - he bought it like that... he couldnt believe difference when changed sensor and replaced plugs - he didnt know what he was missing *:) LOL

Hope that helps.

Scott.

> 93 onwards VW strengthened the syncho by using different materials.. as 92 VR6's were suffering from crunchy gearboxes

OK, this is good to know.

> And if serious about buying...

Very much so, I have the cash in a cookie jar - just waiting for the right car to show up :)

> what a dead camshaft sensor is

How expensive is this sensor? Is it one of the parts i should renew right away when I buy the car like belts, filters, maybe timing chain/tensioners etc.?

Greets,

Toni

> 93 onwards VW strengthened the syncho by using different materials.. as 92 VR6's were suffering from crunchy gearboxes

OK, this is good to know.

> And if serious about buying...

Very much so, I have the cash in a cookie jar - just waiting for the right car to show up :)

> what a dead camshaft sensor is

How expensive is this sensor? Is it one of the parts i should renew right away when I buy the car like belts, filters, maybe timing chain/tensioners etc.?

Greets,

Toni

Dont worry about any of the sensors just make sure the VAGCOM or similar software is used to show if any faults - this will tell you if any problems with sensors....

If you need to replace the timing chain \ tensioners on a VR6 that you are looking at then walk away........... its an expensive job and too be honest if it needs doing you have to question why asI know of several VR6's that are nearly touching 200k with original chains / tensioners....

Scott.

The Cam postion sensor costs £19 from VW. It's worth keeping one as a spare as they're quite a common failing.

Kev

.....all 92 vr6's will also have the earlier style dashboard(mk2 golf-type heater controls,white needles on instruments etc).......

Beg to differ mate ;)

I have a '92 registered VR that has all the '93 characteristics.

> If you need to replace the timing chain \ tensioners on a VR6 that you are looking at then walk away........... asI know of several VR6's that are nearly touching 200k with original chains / tensioners....

Weird, this was the first thing I learned from numerous C sites: tensioners and their rails are the #1 problem in VR6's. They can go very early - even after 60K miles and it is critical to keep an eye on them. Chains do go very rarely but as the job of changing the lower tensioner is a big one it is a small job to change the chains at the same time too. Especially Americans seem to have loads of trouble with the timing chains/tensioners and rails.

If this is not true - fine. I would be more than happy if this is the case. I can do the job myself but I am not very keen in removing the transmission in the process.

So, what are your experiences?

> just make sure the VAGCOM or similar software is used

I do have a AutoXray OBD I scanner which I use to diagnose and monitor my Vette, is there a similar thing for VW's? I mean with consumer price tag - not the super expensive pro stuff.

Toni

.....all 92 vr6's will also have the earlier style dashboard(mk2 golf-type heater controls,white needles on instruments etc).......

Beg to differ mate ;)

sorry meant all 92 model year......if yours was built after the german traditional end of july holiday then its classed as being a 93 model year.....august92 onwards build dates btw

> just make sure the VAGCOM or similar software is used

I do have a AutoXray OBD I scanner which I use to diagnose and monitor my Vette, is there a similar thing for VW's? I mean with consumer price tag - not the super expensive pro stuff.

Toni

best thing to do is contact niko on this forum,he's a lot nearer you than the rest of us.....as he's in the same country as you!!

anyway he knows the people at rosstech who do the software/hardware you'll need

Beg to differ mate ;)

sorry meant all 92 model year......if yours was built after the german traditional end of july holiday then its classed as being a 93 model year.....august92 onwards build dates btw

S'alright matey - was just being pedantic! :)

> best thing to do is contact niko

Thanks for the tip. Actually I talked with him yesterday morning generally about Corrados. I'll have to e-mail him and ask about this.

Toni

Toni, the Corrado VR6 is an expensive car to run and troublesome, period. 2.9 litres, 15 Gallon tank, 6 litre oil sump = ££££s as the engine uses lots of both!

I would personally find as low a mileage an example as possible and just enjoy it. Problems will occur, which you can tackle as and when they happen. There are plenty of tools, parts and advice available to make ownership less painful on the wallet.

RE the tensioner and chains. You only need to do this job when they start making lots of noise, it's kind of like a 16V top end rattle when it's cam chain weas out, only on the VR6 it's louder, so you'll definitely know when it needs doing. 100,000 miles is the most common failing point. I say fail, but the chain won't ever snap, it just gets loose as the linkages wear out and then the tensioner runs out of travel to take up the slack, aswell as wearing down itself. If the chain does need doing, that would be a good time to replace the clutch and crankshaft & gearbox input shaft seals.

As for the Americans suffering from premature wear, I'm not really sure why this could be. Didn't they have their own factory over there? In which case the parts would have been Mexican made, which are not always up to the same standards as the German parts. Just a hunch.

A warmed up VR6 should be quiet at the top end bar perhaps a sticky follower or two. To this end it is better to use Quantum Silver oil as Stealth Racing have found that using thin synthetic oils not only increases consumption, it also reduces the life of the hyraulic tappets.

Anyway, you seem like a level headed bloke and will find a good one I'm sure.

Kev

94 VR6

it's kind of like a 16V top end rattle when it's cam chain weas out, only on the VR6 it's louder,

I didnt think the 16V had, cam chains......

Yep, just the one though. The inlet cam drives the exhaust cam via the small chain.

This is why the engine is so compact.

Kev

94 VR6