Sign in to follow this  
markrtw

Lotus Evora driven - anyone else bagged a good free ride?

A friend invited me to the launch of the new Lotus Evora at their Silverstone dealership on Sunday and being the sort not to overlook a free lunch and it being only 4 miles down the road I decided to forsake the rebuilding of my VR6 engine and went along. :D

I had seen the pictures in Evo and thought it looked OK, but in the flesh it looked a lot better and (the remarkable bit) even though it has a similar profile to the Elise, it's a brand new bigger chassis (their mid size platform) so all 6 foot 5 of me could get quite comfortable behind the wheel and its not difficult to get into.

It's been designed as a more comfortable Lotus, quiet and refined enough to live with every day and as it's a 2+2 you can even bring some (small) friends along too, but retaining Lotus driving values.

Obviously I had to find out if this was all true and took it for a drive along the country lanes around the Silverstone area. The one I was in was launch spec (fully loaded) with reversing camera, leather everywhere, Alpine multimedia Sat Nav (which can also display engine/car info) and forged lightweight wheels.

Wow is the word. A torquey V6 (3.5 direct inj Lexus, custom Lotus mapping - only 205 g of CO2) gives plenty of thrust and sounds great, AP brakes stop it quickly, it rides beautifully and corners flat and the steering can only be described as telepathic. You can feel everything, it’s perfectly weighted, extremely direct and loads up well.

Loved it. Loved it even more as it was a free ride and unexpected. I think the only problem with it is the price: £48k - £55k. Dangerous territory with Cayman S, 911, M3 & GTRs all around. I think it would feel right at 40 to 45k.

Anyone else bagged a good free ride?

:cheers:

Git, I've always wanted a spin in the Evora since I saw the prototype! I'm glad to hear it's living up to the promise. Stick a low pressure turbo on that engine and it's ready to do battle with the bigger boys :D

If you read this month's Evo, it trounces the Farbio and Cayman S. It's so good in fact, they put it up against the Nissan GTR!! You wouldn't put anything up against a GTR unless it has the minimum entry qualifications.... so that's high praise indeed.