Sign in to follow this  
Anton Sobriquet

Is interior driving mirror compulsory?

The driving mirror attached to my windscreen dropped off about a week ago as I was checking out my hairdo. Looks like it was glued onto some kind of metallic film stuck on the screen. Must say I've got much better vision without it and just use the door mirrors to watch for the old bill and check out the crumpet now.

I know there doesn't have to be one in a non-walkthrough van or truck but is it legal to drive without one in a car?

Anyone?

From what I can see you need the use of at least two mirrors.. the drivers side one is compulsory and the second can either be on the other side / door, or an interior mirror.

Obviously lots of vans are sold without rear view mirrors as they're fully boarded up so so it must be legal not to have one :)

Useful links, thanks. Found this on motester:-

Mirrors

Not all mirrors on all vehicles are subject to Test, depending on the age of the vehicle. Those mirrors which must be checked must be:-

secure

visible from the driver's seat

not distorted or damaged so as to seriously impair the driver's view to the rear.

Government site just says "minimum number must be on vehicle" and refers to security & condition.

I'll call around some MOT testers and see what they say.

legal requirement is one on the drivers side of the vehicle + one other, either centre (windscreen mount styleee) or passenger side mirror must be fitted...

My G60 went through a thorough MOT without the centre mirror after I knocked it off as both the other mirrors were fine... 8)

just a point that some people may not know... if you've knocked the mirror off the windscreen completely (ie, there's just flat glass with a bit of glue left where it used to be!) then sticking the mirror back on can be a real PITA due to the weight and trying to hold it in place while the tape/glue sets...

However, (this is the bit that some people don't realise!) the mirrors are designed to come off the screen leaving behind a small metal mount that's normally bonded to the screen... Get the bit out of the mirror, (it twists out IIRC) and use the mirror fixing glass glue from Haulfrauds and some tape to attach it to the windscreen again... leave it to set for a few days, then you can simply just put the mirror back onto the proper mount again...;) 8)

I went to the local Autowindscreens and looked suitabley confused and thick and asked if I could get a discount, showed them my geriatric travel card and they refixed it for no charge. Such a nice young man.