Sign in to follow this  
UKG Grant

quick question (water pump?)

Hi,

I got a Vr6 a few days ago just trying to sort out all its little problems, when running there is a bit of a rough noise coming from the top right (just at the back) i think its some sort of circulation pump? as I'm not sure what it is I'm not to sure what to do to get it sorted, any information on this would be helpful and i can get a picture up of it if no one really knows what I'm talking about

thanks in advance

Grant

I don't know much about it as I don't own a VR6 so don't know about all of the foibles, but there is an auxiliary water a pump in that location which is probably what you can hear. If it's knackered, luckily it's not a big job to remove / replace it :)

Worth doing a search for: +vr6 +auxiliary +water +pump

its the auxillary water pump and as far as i know its supposed to make that noise. its to cool the rear bank as it runs hotter than the front. mine does it, so if yours is bust, so is mine!

sound like the aux water pump? is it a metal cylinder facing downwards with pipes going into and out of it? i replaced mine recently, a new one is about 100 quid from the stealers, but you'll get a s/hand one on here no doubt. i used a new one for peace of mind as the seals had gone on mine.

as swiftkid says it does make a noise, but it shouldn't be too excessive.

It is where you describe it, and that does sound about right, I think mine is a bit shot, if not on its way out as you can hear it is noticeable over the tick over of the car, thanks for the help!

Grant.

they do bugger all where they are and once pressurized dont shift any water hence why the R32 and so on have them mounted low down on the block so gravity can assist.

They are common to fail,the metal bush on the impella fails and it grates its self on the side wall of the pumps housing,also causing exsessive vibration which you can see and hear....also all that metal particals go around the coolant system :pale: