Sign in to follow this  
timthetinyhorse

Front wishbone bushes

just had my mot done and bot wishbones require new bushes so i have two questions

how easy are the bushes to replace?

Would you go with OEM or polly bushes?

cheers

rob

just had my mot done and bot wishbones require new bushes so i have two questions

how easy are the bushes to replace?

Would you go with OEM or polly bushes?

cheers

rob

there's been a few posts recently on this, have a search.

in general OEM bushes from VW are best, only the really high power turbo/supercharged VR's need the R32 bushes

easiest to get complete wishbones with the bushes already in, but it's not massively difficult to press new bushes into an old wishbone, I did it with some huge sockets and nothing more than a big vice.

the bushes are bonded in. Your best bet is buying new wishbones without bushes in if you're planning to uprate the bushes in them.

Else factor wishbones are about £15 a side, I think. Might be £20. Try VW Spares / AVS.

I have some genuine VAG wishbone bushes never been taken out of the packet.. would do them for £10+postage if you want them :)

You don't need high power to go for the R32 bushes, they are just generally an improvement as they don't have 2 huge gashes in the side of the bush which allows them to flex so much losing caster under braking. The R32 ones aren't hard like poly ones, they are just complete rubber bushes all round and are a vast improvement, sharpens steering and braking feels more positive. Might cost a tad more ~£30 but worth it IMO.

You don't need high power to go for the R32 bushes, they are just generally an improvement as they don't have 2 huge gashes in the side of the bush which allows them to flex so much losing caster under braking.

But the cut outs are part of the design of the bushing, the bush has an arrow and a specific orientation in the wishbone when fitting so it deforms in a specific way, the R32 is so much heavier than the Corrado there must be some drawback to using them?

Yeah, the 8NO bushes just fit as a direct replacement...

I can't see any drawbacks to be honest, they seem to tighten the whole front end up nicely - maybe a good upgrade for lower cars as the bushes distort less under hard cornering.

Yeah the standard ones are designed to deform but it's this give that causes squirming under heavy breaking due to the forks being pushed back and losing the very small amount of castor the corrado has! The R32 ones aren't overly hard but they just don't have the cut outs and generally tighten up the front but the main difference is they sharpen the braking. These with some MED adjustable top mounts make the car feel awesome!

Interesting point about the braking Rob as i'd not thought about that... thinking about it mine are pretty darm sharp and brakes very well from high speeds!

for the wishbone bushes is it advisable to use Golf 4 R32 front and rear ones as per the ones from AVS below:

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g4suspension.php

thanks

oh, thanks for the link - I'm planning to do full suspension setup in the next month, so that helps loads! :clap:

recommended supplier I take it?

Defo expecting to just chuck the whole wishbones in favour of new febi ones, with standard rubber already fitted. Same as Vince at Stealth recommended (and duly did) to my mk2 valver...