Sign in to follow this  
ww-promo

MY 1ST VERY OVER DUE VR6! Waxed Up

Looks good, I do love how the lines curve into the wheel arch. You really don't notice that with the bump strips in. Seems a shame to hide such a nice line of the car.

yes they just lift off. They are originally held on by some tack adhesive and you usually have to heat them up with a hair dryer to help peel them off.

If so i reckon I'll be doing some work this weekend....

Is a pritty straight forward job, took an evening after work. Proper chuffed with it!

I would double check that the paint around that area looks good/not been badly touched up etc. :wink: , as may damage it more or uncover some nasties :nono:

My new rad arrived today so will be swopping them over tomos!!! Did my 16v not so long ago and seemed easy enough.....the VRs' does look a tad more cramped however?......... :?

Right then... Done it!! Side strips gone.

Would have been a really hard job without the tar remover though so thanks for that tip.

Am quite impressed with the paintwork underneath apart from one small area that has flaked a little. Will get down to the paintshop this week/next.

I'm in need of some help please!!.............been changing my RAD on my VR all weekend...... :brickwall:

I have got the new one on, filled with G12++ and it has sprung a leak :mad2: :mad2:

In the pic below the green arrows show the seal where it seems to be leaking from.....should I have replaced a washer/seal thing there??

The Rad was from Volks-apart and did not seem to be the best fit....the bolt that the blue arrow is pointing too seemed to loosen the gold thread inside the rad when tightening & it seems its not made a proper seal....I dont know what to do :? feel like giving up and passing over to my garage but carnt drive it anywhere???...If i take it all off i'll loose 2 bottles of G12.

Can anyone on here pls advise/had this problem before??

Thanks

oli

RADPICS007LEAK.jpg

Thanks....It does have that seal in, may be best if i buy a new one.

The metal thread in the rad came loose and actually poped out!? So would seem its not tightening properly....Do you think it could be glued back in?? and if so what would be best to use?

Ta.

Ok...I have taken the 90 degree pipe out and has cracked around the sealing lip area, Will need to get new one from VW tomorrow. Fingers crossed they have one in stock.

90DEG1.jpg

Also...does anyone think this justifies a return?...Circled in the pic is the thread that has come loose & i am now struggling to get the bolt off! :?

As well as this, the large rubber coolant pipe that attaches to the bottom of the rad [under the temp gauge] seemed too big for the rad? A sausage & an alley way spring to mind. When removing the old [original] rad it was a very tight fit. Is this normal when using non original VW parts & will it be ok [water tight] once tightened with the jubilee clip?

Cheers

RADLOOSETHREAD-VR6.jpg

mine (not brand new) managed to pull the brass nuts out from the rad. i just stuck some longer stainless bolts thru and some nylock nuts on the other side :)

is it a genuine VW rad? that may be the problem, if its a cheap version it may just be shite.

the VW one comes with the rad neck all fitted, £180 though, but my original lasted 160,000miles

mine (not brand new) managed to pull the brass nuts out from the rad. I just stuck some longer stainless bolts thru and some nylock nuts on the other side

Why did I not think of that??... :clap:

is it a genuine VW rad? that may be the problem, if its a cheap version it may just be ****.

the VW one comes with the rad neck all fitted, £180 though, but my original lasted 160,000miles

No its not an original [wishing I had now!] I brought it from Volks-Apart & thought it would be of a certain quality coming from them?! Was a bit suspicious about it as the box it arrived in had a Euro car parts sticker on it????

Im going to get a new rad neck from VW also.

Cheers!

Yep get a new one from VW have just replaced the rad on my GF's VR recently and was £211 for a new rad from VW mention a discount for being part of the corrado club GB and you may get a discount! The bloke behind the counter said before we bought the rad that it wasnt going to be cheap and have we considered getting one from GSF, i said not a chance after seeing all the horror stories on the forum about them not fitting right etc, glad we paid the extra for the genuine one though as it was a piece of cake to fit!

Alright alright....dont rub it in!! :scratch: I have already emailed volks apart for a refund, nothing back from them yet.

Another 50 quid & i could have had an original........ :bad-words:

Am going to get my dolla back and buy what i should have in the first place!! They did say it came with a 12 month warrenty!!

just got off the phone to them and said i'd like to exchange it for an original rad [+ extra monies] and the guy is going to call me back.

Fingers crossed!

My cheapo rad has now been sent back on the warrenty and a PROPER VW one is on its way!! :clap:

Should have just bought it in the 1st place... Oh well, lesson learnt!

Ps. does anyone have a tried & tested way to catch the 2 bottles of new G12++ I have just put in so I can reuse it?!

as it was a piece of cake to fit!

I was there and piece of cake it was not!

Use a washing up bowl to catch the coolant.

Fiddley :censored:ER isnt it! Will have to do it all over again this wknd :lol: Oh well, practice makes perfect n all that.

Going to try and funnel it down into a tub me thinks, stop it pi**ing all over the place...hopefully.

Rad finally sorted...more on that later.

I now have a bonnet issue as I carn’t open it?! :mad2: 1 thing after the next.

The thin S bracket that is located just after the bonnet pull handle has now snapped and I cannot open the bonnet.

I have done a search on here and read about popping the bonnet by hooking the catches from the grill area, so this is not the problem [have not tried it yet however].

I want to know how one gets the S bracket off? So I can put a new one on. Does the whole mechanism need taking out or can this be done in the footwell?

Here is a pic I have found on the forum, but of the same part.

Bonnet Release Cable/Handle 15.00

is this worn at all? if not and its including postage ill take it

Hi mate here is a pic of the S bracket, seems all okay – PM SENT

Image002.jpg

Hi mate, the S-bracket doesnt come off, you need a new cable :(

If the blue arrow part is still attached and the clip at the red arrow is broken you could still open it with pliers.

bracket.jpg

If the blue arrow part is still attached and the clip at the red arrow is broken you could still open it with pliers.

bracket.jpg

That little b'stard broke on me too, on a new cable! had to make up a working cable using my old one. I've cut a hole in a bonnet before to get the thing open luckily it was a temporary item. :|

bracket.jpg

Yea thats it, can only manage to pop one side of the bonnet. ie. the inner cable part. Do you need to push the outer part while pulling the inner cable to pop both sides? Had just put back the front end too after replacing my Rad! :bad-words: