Sign in to follow this  
MFP

Which Tyres?

Hello,

I was just wondering if their was a general opinion on what the best tyres are for a corrado VR6.I've got a standard N reg VR6 with the speedline alloys(which I'm getting refurbished) and I need to replace the tyres soon.I was thinking along the lines of Toyo Proxes,Goodyear Eagle F1's.or Pirelli P-Zeroes.Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thank's

Matthew :?:

Try having a search for "VR6 AND tyres".

Search for that exact phrase and it should throw up plenty of results.

HTH :)

Bridgestone Potenza RE720 or Goodyear Eagle F1s get my vote. The Bridgestones have a stiffer sidewall and a rim protector though. Both good value and both offer excellent wet performance. The RE720s are better in the dry though.

K

yea, i had the bridgestones on my golf vr6 for the last year, but excessive wheelspin killed them!!!!!

now got crap tyres on it, suppose to be wet tyres, but are not worth a crap!!!

my mk1 has goodyear eagle f1's on it, great tyres too, quite soft and wear quicker than the bridgestones imho

yea, i had the bridgestones on my golf vr6 for the last year, but excessive wheelspin killed them!!!!!

now got crap tyres on it, suppose to be wet tyres, but are not worth a crap!!!

my mk1 has goodyear eagle f1's on it, great tyres too, quite soft and wear quicker than the bridgestones imho

Yeah the F1s do wear away quickly! I'll be going back to the Bridgees when they're shot....which won't be long :lol:

How many miles do you reckon you get out of a pair of F1s on the front of a VR6, do they really wear out that fast?

I'm looking to get some as I need better traction on the front. I've got some Nankangs on at the moment and they are hopeless. I got beaten by an MR2 off the lights the other day cos I couldn't get the power down.

Cheers

Ady

Thanks for everyone getting back to me on this subject.I took a look at the mytres.co.uk website yesterday and it seems as though they've got some good prices on their tyres.Only thing is how do you get them fitted? Do they have their own network of garages/dealers that you have to go to or will anybody do it.I can't imagine other tyre outlets fitting tyres for you that you purchased elsewhere.Does anyone know about this? I'm thinking about going with Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Thank's

Matt

most tyre fitters will fit tyres that you've bought elsewhere for you...

Don't be suprised if you don't get a receipt and they want cash to fit them... :wink: if you pay more than £5 per corner, you've been robbed... :wink: :lol:

How many miles do you reckon you get out of a pair of F1s on the front of a VR6, do they really wear out that fast?

I'm looking to get some as I need better traction on the front. I've got some Nankangs on at the moment and they are hopeless. I got beaten by an MR2 off the lights the other day cos I couldn't get the power down.

Cheers

Ady

As always, it depends on driving style but I got 14,000 out of a pair of F1s (GSD1) on my MK2 16V Turbo. I never deliberately induce wheelspin as it's pointless and embarrassing, so that could be why mine lasted so well. Spin and very hard cornering, not to mention under and over inflation all contribute to tyre wear.

With the F1s, you can feel the rubber is really soft by sticking your thumbnail into the tread, but that is why they're so grippy :lol:

K

I've been told 10 pound a tyre fitted/balanced everywhere i've asked

Ah! You're Daaahn Sowff... £10's probably not far wrong in that case... :p :wink: :lol:

/northern monkey

I've been told 10 pound a tyre fitted/balanced everywhere i've asked

They saw you coming then???? :lol:

I no a place in MK who charge a £5... :wink:

Well Thanks everyone,

So roughly a fiver for each corner then? Thats sounds okay.I've just taken one of my wheels off to have it refurbished.Correction I tried taking one of my wheels off only to find that the corrosion between the hub and the alloy wheel had caused it to seize.So I took it to the place to be refurbished and they done it their for me,they made it look ridicoulsly easy and me feel very stupid all in a very short space of time.I tried whacking the wheel with some wood and a hammer but it wouldn't budge,plus the car was up on it's flimsy looking jack that I was terrified would come away with any sudden violent movements.Anyway I've now got the spacer wheel on that looks like it's come off a pram,so I'm driving around at the moment feeling a little uneasy.The guys at Spit and Polish said that the two wheels I'm having done won't turn out the same colour as those on the otherside,but I figured they must be pretty darn close and I'd still rather have them slightly not matched(but looking new) than having them scuffed up and corroded.While I'm here does anybody know about getting the rear bush's replaced.I had the car serviced back in December and it came out as a standard service but I asked them to look out for other stuff that might need doing.My mate works their and he told me that the rear bush's are kind of perished and that in the not too distant future I will need them done.I asked him if it was particularly expensive and he said it's not so much the cost of the bush's but the labour.Apparentley the rear axle has to be dropped and it's about 5 hours labour at say £60 an hour.Anybody had any experience having this done.

8) Matt

Cheers kevhaywire, reckon I'm going to go for F1s, I don't do many miles a year and I've been having the bikers at work hassle me all afternoon about the importance of quality rubber sticking you to the road.

Ady

.My mate works their and he told me that the rear bush's are kind of perished and that in the not too distant future I will need them done.I asked him if it was particularly expensive and he said it's not so much the cost of the bush's but the labour.Apparentley the rear axle has to be dropped and it's about 5 hours labour at say £60 an hour.Anybody had any experience having this done.

Replacing the bushes is a routine job for experienced VW garages, in fact Stealth made my MK2 Golf ones look dead easy! It took them less than 5 hours too, about 3.5 if IIRC and they charge £30 p/h. £60 is main dealer rate, most VW tuners are around the £30 mark.

The Corrado could take 5 hours, or maybe longer because of the following:

If the rear brake lines are seized into the brake proportioning valve. Stealth say this happens a lot on the Corrado and the only cure is a new prop' valve at £100 from VW and the labour/costs associated with reterminating the ends of the brake lines.

If you've got the original exhaust on still, that'll need cutting off and rejoining after the axle has gone back up again, so more cost.

I would personally only take it somewhere that's done them before because the bushes need to be pressed into the Axle a specific amount and angle.

K

If you've got the original exhaust on still, that'll need cutting off and rejoining after the axle has gone back up again, so more cost.

Eh? Think you're a little mixed up there Kev - the axle runs BELOW the fitted exhaust, so you don't have to touch the exhaust to do the axle bushes.

It's the other way around - when you do the exhaust, you've either got to remove the axle (again - but at least it's an easy job with fresh bushes in place), or you've got to cut+shut the exhaust out/in.

must agree with the Goodyear Eagle F1's but Goodyear also do a cheaper directional tyre which imo is great in the wet as well..........have two of each on a valver and did not notice any real diff. when i changed the f1's to the back of the car bringing the cheaper G/year directionals onto the front.

Eh? Think you're a little mixed up there Kev - the axle runs BELOW the fitted exhaust, so you don't have to touch the exhaust to do the axle bushes.

It's the other way around - when you do the exhaust, you've either got to remove the axle (again - but at least it's an easy job with fresh bushes in place), or you've got to cut+shut the exhaust out/in.

Well done for spotting the deliberate mistake :oops:

K