Sign in to follow this  
oldskoolkool

torque figures 16v flywheel to crank

is it on here somewhere? this is for the passat (same gearbox and same 228mm clutch)

p132.jpg[/attachment:1ybsaugy]

The flywheel bolts are 20NM or 15lbft, hardly anything. You MUST make sure you do them all up at the same pace though. For example, go round doing a half turn on each, and you must do the bolt opposite the one you just tightened so you keep jumping across the circle if that makes sense. Obviously when you have done one bolt and it's opposite then you move to a neighbouring bolt until all 6 are torqued up.

:shock: :shock: Dude!! The flywheel bolts are 100Nm WITH threadlock /locking fluid applied to all six of them!!

Well I got my figure from the 16v KR Passat Haynes manual (same as davidwort's pic)....guess 60Nm + 1/4 turn must be pretty close to 100Nm!?! :tongue:

hang on, we're not talking about the same thing here, Bentley is VR6 isn't it?, the Haynes is referrring to a 16v/4 cylinder VW crank and flywheel. I'm sure the VR6 uses different bolts.

Bu99er me, I've just found two references to the KR/9A that state 30Nm and 1/4 of a turn, so that's different again,

I think the Haynes misinformation I provided :? was for the 8v engines

the 16v seems to be 30Nm and 2nd stage 90 degrees

haynes_torque_settings_2.gif[/attachment:3b5x0mhk]

The VR uses cap headed bolts, and lots more of them. I guess the image above is for a G60?

emmm doesn't a rado use a 02a box. (not that it really affects the flywheel bolt torques). And doesn't the Vr6 have an 8 bolt flywheel?

WOW i go away for two minuits and all hell breaks loose haha i knew they wernt 20 nm lol i could have found out at work tomorow but wanted to get the box on tonight .

so FT it is then hahah thanks guys i knew you good people had it in you hehe

cheers

liam

Bentley covers all engines - VR6, G60 and the US spec 8v/16v with CIS-E (cissy) fuel injection system.

AFAIK, the torques should be the same...? The stuff I posted up originally was Mk2 Golf haynes... I will actually NEVER remember that the C has a different clutch system. Ever. I even sold James a "corrado" flywheel which was from a mk2 golf! What a legend.

ETKA lists 3 types of bolt for the 4 cyl, auto, 2L 8v and one that does KR/9A and PG (G60) engine,

so it should be the same as the G60 bentley info,

but, I have two separate sources quoting 30Nm and 1/4 turn, not 60Nm,

perhaps we need Yan to dig out the info from his UK VW workshop manuals

Right well according to autodata which sources it's information from the manufatures and it states for a 2.0 16 v flywheel bolts should be renuewd plus locktight and tourqued to 60nm + 90 degrees !!

Liam

Good plan. Let's begin the mod summoning ceremony...

I've recited his name 3 times into the mirror...

Right well according to autodata which sources it's information from the manufatures and it states for a 2.0 16 v flywheel bolts should be renuewd plus locktight and tourqued to 60nm + 90 degrees !!

Liam

I reckon Haynes are getting confused with the 020 golf 2 16v gearbox and flywheel or something then :roll:

You called? :D

Sorry was in Cyprus for a few days.

Right, I am working from a G60 book as it is the same parts as the 16v and I only have that on fiche.

The procedure is as follows, fit the packing plate (engine side of flywheel), flywheel and external packing plate (gearbox side of flywheel) and fit new bolts. Tighten to 30Nm, there is no set tightening sequence but I would go with opposites. You then need to measure the distance between the gearbox side of the flywheel to the engine at 3 different points, calculate the average and you are allowed a figure of between 19.5-21.1mm, if this is out you need to fit some shims.

I am not sure if this is with the toothed ring fitted or not, very difficult to tell from the workshop manual.

As for tightening, if it is all within the limits above then bolts to 60Nm with a furthur quarter of a turn (90 degrees) to finish off. The manual does say the quarter turn can be carried out in several stages if required. I would again work on a basis of oppposite bolts to torque them down, so if you number the ring of bolts 1 to 6 with 1 uppermost going clockwise, you would torque 1 then 4, 3 then 6 and finally 2 then 5.

^ Are you sure that's right Yan?

I thought there was a TSB about this (on the G60 anyway) and they increased the figure, hence why the Bentley is wrong I think.