Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

ABS light of doom

Hi Guys Ive had intermitent problems with the ABS light since I've owned the car. Usually the light will stay on for a day or so then everything returns to normal for months however for the last week the ABS light has stayed on with no signs of it going out. I've tried the ignition/push in break pedal test and I do get a pulse through the pedal. Here is a noob question Is it possible to reset the ECU or disconnect /reconnect the wires in the hope of resetting the ABS as a starting point before looking into the wheel sensors ect?

Cheers Alan

you need to scan it with vag com

i would say its just a sensor thats gone

if your near farnborough i have vag com and will scan it for you

you need to scan it with vag com

i would say its just a sensor thats gone

if your near farnborough i have vag com and will scan it for you

Mmm, I'm moving to Camberley in 2 weeks... I also have abs "light of doom"...Any chance I can get the same favour??

Also, any particular garages you could recommend in that area?

Thanks for the kind offer millerman I live too far away from you to take you up on it I'm based in Widnes. I'll have a look at the sensors on each wheel and hope I can find something obvious.

I used to have a VR and had the same problem. I bought a vagcom cable from ebay for about £15 and found out it was 1 of the sensors. Theres not much too go wrong, i replaced the sensor and the light went off after a quick reset of the error codes.

I'd really recommend you get a vagcom if you have a laptop. Will save you alot of money

Sorry to hijack this thread but can someone post a link to a decent vag.com please!

Is all you need a disc and a lead like the ones on ebay?

I'll have a look over the weekend weather permitting i'm a total novice when it comes to mechanics so fingers crossed. If I do find an obvious fault will I still need to plug into Vagcom to reset? I have a laptop so I'll need the software installed and cable to hook up.

Where would I get the software from?

Where does the cable plug into in the car?

This is the home page of the company that makes vagcom, have a look for the version of the software you want, usually 3.11 and download the shareware version.

Im not too hot on the topic so i may be slighly wrong.

I know under the plastic surround for the gear knob is you will find the ODB2 port. Just give the plastic a gentle tug and it will come off. I think the earlyer corrados have a diffrent port that u cant do any thing with so you may want to check before you go and buy a cable. The diffrence is the ammount of pins on the port. The ODB2 has lots more than the old style.

If you download the correct version of VAGCOM for the cable you buy, you may even get it bundled with the cable. Mine only works with a really old version but every thing still works as it should.

If your local (im between camberley and guildford, surrey) im more than happy to plug mine in and show you whats what

Hi I've had this problem on and off now for a good couple of years with my VR and have replaced various sensors time and again but it still keeps happening very randomly!?!?! I've just purchased a VAGCOM off eBay so will let you know if I have any luck with trying to figure this out?!?! :confused4:

I've just run a VAGCOM test on my C and it has bought up an error for the ABS but doesn't tell me any more info than that? How do I know which sensor is the problem - can anyone help?

Also my VAGCOM software asks to be authorised - does anyone have a auth code?

Cheers

Martin

:confused4:

I took my VR to a local VW specailist who plugged his VAG COM to my car and reset all the fault codes regarding the engine/ ABS and was told it was the two front ABS sensors which had gone. He didnt charge me for use of his VAG COM as I gave him the work. Hopefully (fingers crossed) thats the last of this fault I'll see.