Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Fitting sound deadining in doors

Ive just got some BrownBread for the doors in my C. i was under the impression that I would have to fit it on the inside of the outer door skin but on the box it shows a pic of a door where it has been fitted in place of the waterproof membrane. :?

Where should it be fitted?

you can replace the membranes with it yeah, but stick it to the dorrskins to

gives the doors a nice solid clunk and a nice dence noise when you knock em, stops the skins vibrating soo much

basically, the door becomes the enclosure, so you have to make it more robust

you wouldnt make a sub box out of 1 layer of Fibreglass would you? :lol:

it only needs thre STRIPS on each door

one on each flat panel

keep it away from the crease, just incase you needa dent repair in the future :lol:

what a difference mine made.

HTH :)

I put large sheets of dynamat on the inside of my door skins and as Brian says, it does give the doors a meatier thunk! It's a bit tricky because the side impact bars are in the way, but it's doable.

As for the membrane, I replaced that with a sheet of grey foam from VW which you have to cut to shape yourself and stick down with weatherproof tape (double sided), it's quite thick so gives a bit of sound deadening too.

K

bet u need a chip and pulley afetr feeding ya doors that much grub.......

does the car feel slower is what i was thinking

why do people spend money on sound deadening only to slap it to the metal of the cars body and ignore the instructions and loads of reasearch and development that goes into these products?

The instructions I seen say to apply it to large flat panels to make them reflect the sound back, instead of making the panels vibrate, although in a lot of big installs they just cover all metal parts with it.

I also read that it can be fitted in place of the membrane to seal the door turning it into an enclosure for the speaker, still not sure where to put it though I think ill do what Kev has done and get the foam stuff from vw.

The instructions I seen say to apply it to large flat panels to make them reflect the sound back, instead of making the panels vibrate, although in a lot of big installs they just cover all metal parts with it.
thats what i thought,and thats what ill be doing...with the base on full you can see the door skin vibrate,so putting it in place of the membrane would be a wast of money

if the instructions say fit it instead of the membrain do that, but if they say fit it to the panels then do that.

if your gonna drive the door speakers hard then the skins are gonna move no mater what you stick to them. all your doing its moving the resonance frequceny somewhere else in the frequency range. which is not the ideal result but a "will do method" the best thing to do is fine what vibrating inside the door and bolt it down harder stopping the vibration traveling into the door skin. However if the door skin is being pumped by the speaker driver no mat on the panel will stop that.

SO why is it stuck to the door instead of the membrain?

to stop the door card vibrating, the plastic membrain wont stop the sound waves as it too thin and not dense enough, and you dont want sound coming out of the door through the door card you want all the sound to come from the speaker, and who gives a dam what the car sounds like outside as long as the stereo sound good inside.

why do people spend money on sound deadening only to slap it to the metal of the cars body and ignore the instructions and loads of reasearch and development that goes into these products?

If that's directed at me, I used Dynamat bitumen rolls which were designed for the purpose I used it for. Brown Bread is something else entirely and not heavy like Dynamat.

K

Tesco have a sale on brown bread at the moment, just bought two loaves of Kingsmill for 49p.

Is that Malted or wholegrain brown bread?

Wholegrain is better for sound deadening and malted is better suited to bassbin lining....

K

I wouldn't touch brown bread with a bargepole - white bread is much better
Mighty white is a good compromise, I like a bit of smoked salmon in my brown bread, I also find this helps with sound deadening.

:offtopic1: :scratch: :lol:

:fist:

Funny tho......

Tomato Soupercharged, is that the Cancer inducing farmed Salmon or the healthier wild Salmon?

Your just being silly now Kev, think you need to grow up a bit and come back when your ready to talk seriously about cars...... :lol:

Your just being silly now Kev, think you need to grow up a bit and come back when your ready to talk seriously about cars...... :lol:

Ahhh phooey to you, nowt wrong with a bit of stupidity now and then!