Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Is it easy to rattle can respray wheels?

Hi buoys and gulls, my Speedlines are looking a little tired and since I can't afford/am too cheap to get them professionally resprayed I was thinking of doing it myself. So I was after a bit of advice really from anyone who has done it....your help is very much appreciated :salute:

1. What will I need to get all the old paint off? Wire wheel on a drill or lots of elbow grease with sandpaper?

2. Do I go all the way back to bare metal? I presume so...

3. I am probably painting them orange, will I need primer? Even if I go silver, same question....

4. Should I sand between coats, if so, what grade paper?

5. Will I need to laquer and what grade sandpaper do I need to get a nice finish?

6. Can I do with the tyre still on, or is it easier to remove it?

Thanks!

if i was doing it i would buy a cheap sand blaster seen them for less than 30 uk pounds :D you will need primer and i always do a light sanding between coats when i spray anything with 1200 grit laquer will help protect the paint and its defo easier to remove the tyre :)

BUT WHY ORANGE? lol

Hello,

If you pop it into google there is alot of step by step guides to refurbing alloys. In answer to your Qs.

1. its make it easier if you do but not essential as primer covers all amount of sins.

2. Its called sand blasting.

3. Primer is always a good starting point.

4. Yep, its just light painting a car panel. Sand, prime, sand, paint, sand paint, sand, laquer etc.

5. Sand your last coat of paint with fine sand paper (1000 grade ish) ~Then let the lacquer do its job to get a shiny finish.

6. Upto you. just make sure you mask the s*** out of the tyres if you keep them on.

Hope this helps.

I was going to help but then I saw your painting them orange....

Ive done a few sets and if you keep to the advise above there ok. Ive used etch primer first but make sure you do this soon after exposing the metal. Then normal primer, paint then lacquer with various sanding between.

If you get the blue masking tape from B&Q its easy to mask of with the tyres still on.

Take your time and they come out fine, just dont expect a perfect finish. Oh and heat the cans up a little before using to thin the paint.

Heres my last set of wheels but Ive probably done this a dozen times now.

i've been refurbing some sebrings - to be honest its a pain in the arse and will end up being more expensive to do yourself than you think - especially if you stuff one up - like i have done.

its quite satisfying to do yourself but annoying in equal measure!

i did all mine myself, took ages and ages and they were only speedlines, cost me loads in primer, filler primer, paint and laquer, plus sand paper and all the dremel bits i used.

then a few months after finishing i had them acid dipped and repainted by a professional (although i'm still not 100% happy with them)

Well, the thing is I've been quoted anywhere between 180 and 300 quid to get them done so if I can save myself the dollar I'll do them over the course of a week or so. I don't use the car daily and live in a cul-de-sac, so I won't get embarrassed by having different colours and makes of wheel while I swap them about.

I would suggest these people then who are near the M25 and I have used them with good results.

www.wheelrefurbishing.com

I don't know if he still has, but a chap there had a blackberry VR6 with leather and aircon just like mine!

Hammerite with no laquer for the win :cheers:

Not sure its available in orange though!

Neil.

is that just hammerite smooth? did you use primer? looks like a really great finish - might follow that method as seems a whole lot easier than how i was doing mine

Yep...Just hammerite spray, no laquer...can't stand the stuff.

I didn't use primer as the wheels were brand new so when i sanded them down i just went half way through the original laquer/paint.

Neil.

i find the hardest bit is getting the laquer finish right, mine looked great until i started the laquer, then its hard to get a nice thick smooth shiny surface, mine always felt "dry" and this made them hard to clean the brake dust off.

i did wonder when doing mine if i could do everything and then just ask a pro to spray some laquer on

is the laquer used on wheels the same as on the body? cos i've got a sprayer just round the corner...he looks dodgy and wouldn't trust him on my car, but i doubt he could screw up a coat or 2 of clear.

I was going to help but then I saw your painting them orange....

Ive done a few sets and if you keep to the advise above there ok. Ive used etch primer first but make sure you do this soon after exposing the metal. Then normal primer, paint then lacquer with various sanding between.

If you get the blue masking tape from B&Q its easy to mask of with the tyres still on.

Take your time and they come out fine, just dont expect a perfect finish. Oh and heat the cans up a little before using to thin the paint.

Heres my last set of wheels but Ive probably done this a dozen times now.

I can sense I'm going to get a lot of flak for going orange. Well :p to you all :D I love orange as a colour and think it would contrast well against the moonlight blue. Its got nothing to do with 'scene' or anything like that, I just like loud colours :D

Anyway, your wheels look pretty damn good and I intend to be going too fast for anyone to notice the finish :lol:

One thing, I take it I can't use the etch primer if I have the wheels masked off and the tyres still on? Its acidic and would eat thru the plastic/rubber, right?

I reckon orange would look good 8) Still don't know what possessed you to part with the monos though :(

Back on the road soon! look out for me :norty:

Still got the Monos, they were up for sale but I didn't press it as I secretly wanted to keep them. Unfortunately one of my housemates has knocked one over and the lip is totally gravellised, if you get my drift. And they still haven't owned up! :mad2: :nono:

How long before you're up and running?

You need to stick those bad boys back on! I reckon I could get it MOTd this weekend you know, if i'm not lazy enough - i'm supposed to be decorating my bedroom :sleeping: But heres a sneak preview to show that the wheels actually roll! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJQtTF889lM

Well as I've got the Speeds with ContiPrem2s on, it'd be rude not to waste them. The tyres on the monos are almost dead! Plus I've just had the most cunning idea ever and I don't think its been done before! If it works it will be either awesome or just plain wrong.

Oh, and give me a shout when the MOT is done and we'll go for a blast. I should be getting my car back from the lads at DG on saturday.

Well it didn't happen, had to cancel at the last minute (thankfully reuben was ok about it). Turns out my spare wheels with good tyres dont fit over my front 280s - silly me for swapping the rears first :bad-words:, plus i had completely overlooked it as I changed the brakes quickly whilst removing the driveshafts. Will need to get some rubberage, then i'll be back! 8)

Back on topic - paint them!