Sign in to follow this  
fla

aircon on when cooling fans kick in?

Its always been like this but i cant understand the reasoning behind the aircon compressor coming on when the rad fans kick in. I suppose this could be disabled by removing the black connector on the thermo housing but would this have any adverse effect?

I know we chatted about this a bit before, your post just got me thinking about it again and I had a look at the wiring diagram.....attached here.

Take a look at the wiring from the fans, there's a red/black wire connects to an orange wire through a diode which then goes back to the Trinary Switch (whatever that is???) which is in turn connected to the compressor clutch relay. Bit of a stab in the dark but if the diode is goosed or even missing, then the whole system could be back feeding and kicking the a/c in from the fans rather than the reverse which is the desired effect?

Oh yes, and good luck!

Hmmm... you could be right there. I'll check the diode with the meter, and have a look at what Mr bentley has to say, although that is even more confusing. I hate electrics :bad-words:

Hmmm... you could be right there. I'll check the diode with the meter, and have a look at what Mr bentley has to say, although that is even more confusing. I hate electrics :bad-words:

And you're going to buy the Climatronic install from dinkus.............that way lies madness, believe me :lol:

You'll have no joy with Bentley by the way, it's based on the Yank version so they cover the factory install a/c not available to us mere Brits, we had to make do with the dealer installed aftermarket kit :cuckoo:

Could someone please try this for me - when you press the 'min' switch do the engine colling fans come on immediately? Tonedef, i'm thinking the relays may be goosed. Is there anything special about them or can they be replaced with normal waterproof high current relays? tbh i havent tested the diode yet, but i'll have a go this evening.

............Tonedef, i'm thinking the relays may be goosed. Is there anything special about them or can they be replaced with normal waterproof high current relays? ...........................

Good question! I've always been under the impression that relays is relays, as long as they have the right internal configuration and the pins are in the right place, then they're going to do the right job....aren't they??? Unless somebody knows better then I'd say why not try something that fits!

Regarding the question about fans coming on with AC....the white wire from relay 017019 to the fans via the Radiator Water Switch is powered at the same time as the compressor.......that should run the fans, probably at first speed I expect.

Wish I could offer more ideas but being 4,000 miles away from my Corrado (and having CC in it rather than AC) sort of hinders me a little.........on the subject of CC, did you pick that up? I'm wanting to somebody else get it installed.

yep, i did. Mad aren't I... Just need to get a cc panel now.

I have single speed fans - having gotten rid of the rubbish three speed setup. I'lll have a look at the white wire and see what's going on there, when it stops raining

......see what's going on there, when it stops raining

How I'm missing the English summer, today's been a bit cool here too, didn't make 40C today!

Let me know if you need any help with the CC, it's straight forward enough, there's just lots of things you have to squeeze in behind the dash and under the bonnet. Well worth it in the end though......I've got mine all to do again when I fit the OBD2 loom. I'm going to fit a later condenser too and get rid of the huge thing that came out of the Passat, the one in the R32 is tiny in comparison. I had to move the radiator back when I fitted the existing condenser so now there's about 3mm clearance between the fans and the Schrick.....if you're doing an AC refit to CC it might be worth considering the same.

yes, the norm/max just controls the air intake flap - norm is half open, max is fully closed for total recirculation. Just another check joebloggs69, would you please see if, when NOT using the aircon, whether your pump comes on when the engine cooling fan switches on (as per my first post)? I dont believe it should do, as Tonedef pointed out, its the opposite of what should happen. Also, what position is the thermocouple dial in the passenger undertray (black knob probably on the right of the tray)?

Tonedef, thanks for that, i'll probably need to take some serious advice from on this...

Tonedef, i've just removed the green relay, thats 017019 i think and the fans run normally without the aircon pump coming on. So perhaps this has failed. Its made by Italamec and is not just a straightforward relay, so i'll have to take it to an electronics store to see the equivalent. I can only find Italamec for Vauxhalls' various applications.