Sign in to follow this  
simes

When switching off the ignition, what remains live?

Hi,

I have a 92 VR, curently spending some money sorting it out to original spec. All coming along nicely until it went to a spray place that was less than careful about everything other than its own paint area.

That said, I have noticed something with the ignition that I was not aware of before and the garage I sent it to for a look around seem to think it is expected.

So, when I switch off the ignition and remove the key, the lights to the radio remain on, but no sound. The windows still work and I don't know what else may still be active. At the point of switching off, there is also a little bleep from the stereo speakers.

However, when I open and close the door, all seems to cancel out. Radio lights off, the windows do not work.

Is this a security / comfort feature? Is it correct? Have I gone through 11 years of VR ownership without ever realising this was the case. Or, as I suspect, there is an ignition failure that needs to be sorted out.

Cheers all.

Don't know about the radio lights, but your windows are definately working correctly, they should remain live until the door is open and closed again. Useful if you forget to close the windows before turning the car off.

My radio beeps to remind me to take the panel off, is this what you're hearing?

yup, the ignition live to the stereo could well be on the same circuit as the windows, which would explain why this happens... to be fair, I don't know if this is correct, or just a nice way of someone having wired it in, as my Corrados have always had the stereo wired in by me with all new wiring straight from the battery (via a fuse)!

Grief fellas, speedy responses there.

Appreciated.

Didn't know there would still be things to learn.

Great forum btw. Have had the VR for some time now and have been toying with the idea of getting a new car but every time I came close, I couldn't actually bare to get rid of the VR. So I now have an S2000 and have decided to keep both on the road. Best of both worlds but I am now spending like never before to bring the VR up to similar scratch as the Honda.

Cheers.

my car must be a bit of an oddball, windown power down with ignition but everything else stays powered up, radio must be wired backwards as the only way to turn that off is to remove the frot, saying that my car has some serious electrical gremilins that mean i loose all power to speedo, rev counter and backlights for both if i put the headlights on and with the headlights off both my oil and water tems go crazy so i would ignore anything electrical i talk about :lol:

Hmm. As you say.

Probably best not accept your report as the technical standard against which all Corrados must be measured.

But erm, thanks anyway.