Sign in to follow this  
twofourten

Toothed Belts

I had one for a few months - got through 2 belts. Personally I would never have one again...

Thanks JMC,

You have a massive thread and have done loads to your G60, what would you say are the top 3 enhancements to have?

Hey Rob_G60,

Sounds like they are to be avoided for me then, I struggle with the simplest of things. Having to carry spare belts sounds like a nightmare to me...

What other mods would you recommend for the G60?

Must say I love the look of your car, real clean and simple lines - fantastic stuff...

Thanks JMC,

You have a massive thread and have done loads to your G60, what would you say are the top 3 enhancements to have?

Wow, it depends, what do you have at the moment.... I would recommend a) golf g60 intercooler, b) 4 branch manifold (and ideally good exhaust too), and c) flowed head with suitable cam (either piper or schrick). Then obviously with a suitable chip to match that lot. With those on mine (before my capacity increase) I was around 215bhp on one of the more conservative rolling roads.

now this is a funny one...

I've run a toothed pulley conversion for around 40,000 miles with the only problems occurring when the belt tensioner lost it's damping fluid and so wasn't holding the tension on the belt properly... at this point it ate 2 belts in two weeks! I put a solid tensioner on it and haven't had a problem since... 8)

...yet a few people have said they've had nothing but trouble with their kits... so much so that Darren at G-werks offered a refund on a group buy that took place, yet only one or two people took him up on the offer... :shrug: Read into that what you want...

I think the major problems have been people fitting them themselves and not quite lining everything up 100% causing the edge of the belts to wear, or over-tensioning the toothed belt causing it to strip the belt... There's no reason a toothed belt conversion shouldn't work well on a G60, giving improved response and more instant, predictable boost, as long as the kit is up to scratch and fitted properly with a good condition tensioner (solid or standard)...

now this is a funny one...

I've run a toothed pulley conversion for around 40,000 miles with the only problems occurring when the belt tensioner lost it's damping fluid and so wasn't holding the tension on the belt properly... at this point it ate 2 belts in two weeks! I put a solid tensioner on it and haven't had a problem since... 8)

...yet a few people have said they've had nothing but trouble with their kits... so much so that Darren at G-werks offered a refund on a group buy that took place, yet only one or two people took him up on the offer... :shrug: Read into that what you want...

I think the major problems have been people fitting them themselves and not quite lining everything up 100% causing the edge of the belts to wear, or over-tensioning the toothed belt causing it to strip the belt... There's no reason a toothed belt conversion shouldn't work well on a G60, giving improved response and more instant, predictable boost, as long as the kit is up to scratch and fitted properly with a good condition tensioner (solid or standard)...

Yeah it is a funny one, I've heard of a few people with problems, and a few without. it seems to be down to luck of the draw.

I had mine fitted by Darren. We even fitted the sh*t shield from a VR6 to keep things out from the bottom of the belt. The first one failed after I had done a 150mile trip (about 2 months after fitting), and I was on the south circular one night. Nice, brought the whole of south london to a standstill. Second one failed after about another 2 weeks, and I was a mile down the road from my house. I also had a solid tensioner on there. After that I went back to the normal belt and saw now reduction in boost pressure.

As you say there is no reason why they shouldn't work. However (and correct me if I'm wrong) the original idea was to use these on G40's when the boost pressure was upped during tuning. This would result in belt slip. On the G60's it was not seen as much of a big problem. The reason for slipping would be increased boost pressure (and increased pressure on the belt). If you have a flowed head or high lift cam then this pressure is automatically reduced as the system breaths more easily. From my experience a good tensioner arm can provide enough tension on a normal belt to stop it slipping.

Apparently it's to do with bearing wear in the water pump, alternator, etc. Toothed is more sensitive to these discrepancies and that's the root cause as well as weak tensioners. I won't have one on mine as I hate cars that break down or are unreliable as I usually get rid of them. Touch wood my G60 has not left me at the side of the road, unless I leave the lights on, and then I'm not going anywhere! :brickwall:

I thought the standard v belt was more likely to slip under heavy load? Mainly at low end with foot to floor type conditions? Irrelevant of boost pressure?

Neil.