Sign in to follow this  
rolex

Your driving day experiences (red letter etc..)

Got to choose one for me bday, A friends done a lotus one, 14 laps round a circit which sounds the best so far.

Afew have done ferrari an lambo ones but were'nt allowed to go lower than 3gear!! an only done acouple of laps.

The supercars dont bother me so much, just want to hammer somthing round the track.

So whats the best track/driving day (red letter etc) experiences you've had??

(Up to £200)

Alright mate, if you just want to drive in anger without having a wish to drive exotica then I can highly recommend a full rally day or something.

I did one about 18months ago and did about 30 laps on a track and about 20 laps on a gravel stage. Track time was split between an Evo8 and a Scooby Sti Wrx. And the off road stuff was a 106 rally car. On the gravel you're on your own, ie no other cars, but out on track everyone else is going round as well.

The good thing was that the instructor just let me go for it, which meant I got quickest lap of the day. There was quicker stuff on track but like you say you can be restricted as to how hard you can push them.

No idea what it cost though I'm afraid. I'd do it again in an instant it was awesome! :clap:

Done a couple now, most recent was with 5th Gear Experiences driving a Lambo Murcielago and an Aston DBS - then bought some laps in an Audi R8. The sheer power of the cars and the adrenaline, and the lack of experience of driving anything like them means that only a complete idiot would go out foot to the floor on the first lap. But the instructors on my driving experience really encouraged me to give the cars a bit of stick - my nerves just didn't let me until I'd built up some confidence. Took the Murcielago up to 120MPH at one point and was pretty much foot to the floor and changing at high revs. Similar experience in the R8 where the instructor really let me give it a good thrash!

Some people suggest a rally day so you can learn how to drive, or enjoy having something you can drive hard - but the supercar days give you a chance to drive something you'll probably never be able to afford. My last experience was spectacularly good and I'd recommend a supercar day to anyone.

Done one of the Rally Days and had mixed feelings. :?

The blurb went on about learning handbrake turns, proper off road racing, etc. Spent most of the day in a 'skid car' and ended up with one lap in a Pug round a short course at the end of the day. :(

Think would have preferred a lap in something exotic, as the previous posts have suggested, you ain't going to get many chances to drive something like that.

If I was going to do something like that again I would want to know alot more detail about time actually spent driving the car, are you in a group who take it in turns to drive, is it an experience day or better driving day, etc.

Sadly £200 will not give you much Track Time, however £300 will.

Everyman Racing do loads of this type of stuff.

I think here the best value for money was the Single Seater Formula Ford.

However - look at 'Imagine Doing This' Website.

For just under £300, you can have 3 x 20 mins sessions, with car - Honda Civic Type R with Instructor at practically any circuit in the country. Instructor is Graeme Clew. (Mention my name - Wendy Duckett)

Alternatively Bill Gwyne Rally School based at Turweston Airfield. Northamptonshire.

Not sure of latest prices - but a full on day in Rally Prepared Cars and full on proper tuition.

Both his sons are Racing Drivers and one used to provide the Tuition.

Good Luck - hope you find something. :D

mic_VR was that round cambs area you done that? you dont remember the name do you? :help:

jim really not interstered in exotic italian, i get to drive 'em at work :grin: (sort of)

Jay2 that was my thinking, didnt wanna end up spending all time in class room an 15mins on track. :(

Wendy Thanks! ill look into those. :D

You may or may not know that Porsche have a driving experience centre at Silverstone just next to Hangar straight.

£165 for a few hours of driving your own car on the various cool tracks they have there. It wont be hyper speed, infact the course reccord is only about 120mph, but the track is designed to be a twisty A or B road, and then they have an ice hill with low friction surfaces, and some low friction roundabouts, (great for doughnuts) and the kickplate. a low friction surface that will send teh back wheels left or right in order to train you how to control a slide.

They have facilities for people who have just purchased a porsche and want a bit of training right the way up to advanced techniques.

They have recently launced a driving skills academy that enables you to take your own car on their facility.

The course is taken in your own vehicle, which doesn’t have to be a Porsche, providing it is road legal. Unlike a traditional track day, the low friction surfaces ensure that there will be negligible wear and tear on your vehicle.

The day is broken down into four modules, Practical, Theory, Human Performance and Assessment:

* Practical - Understand your own cars handling characteristics on the unique low friction surfaces. You will be led by a Porsche Driving Consultant to the Kick Plate and Ice Hill area then briefed on skid correction and car control. You will then have the opportunity to explore your own vehicle beyond the grip threshold.

* Theory – Coached by several of the country’s leading Driving Consultants this session will cover the psychological and cognitive skills required to make everyday driving more enjoyable without impeding safety.

* Human Performance - Test your reaction speed and vision in our state-of-the art laboratory. In the same way that race car technology filters into road cars, let our team of sports scientists give you an MOT so that you can compare your performance to that of your vehicle.

* Assessment – Accompanied by a Porsche Driving Consultant you will drive the latest Porsche 911 on our Handling Circuit. You will be offered feedback to maximise your potential behind the wheel.

Two sessions are available, morning and afternoon, attendance on the course costs £165 per person, additional non-driving guests are welcome if pre-booked at a cost of £30 per person and are limited to one non-driving guest. Your guest will be able to accompany you during the Practical and Theory sessions as well as enjoying the views of the Porsche Test Track from the restaurant or roof terrace.

Complimentary refreshments are available throughout the day, you also have the option of booking a three course lunch in the Porsche Restaurant for £18.50 per person.

http://www.porsche.com/silverstone/en/academy/