Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Under bonnet fuel pressure gauge, sad I know

Right I've got a lovely looking fuel pressure gauge that I want to permanently fit under my bonnet,

I know leaving them plumbed in is dangerous, I know really it needs to be in the dash to view whilst driving to make any sense, I know I'm a bit sad for buying it, but I love gauges staring at you when you pop the bonnet and I have no reason for an adjustable FPR.

So cut a long story, does it make more sense to fit it inline of my send pipe to measure the healthiness of my fuel pipe (will it affect flow), or my return pipe so it measures my pump and also my FPR (guessing it should read 3bar unless at idle) ??? Advice needed

If anyone can think of a more boring question then I'll personally send them a Kit-Kat peanut butter Chunky

Thanks

Nothing wrong with that question at all mate,ive run an under bonnet gauge for some tome as do MANY others so there is no saftey issues at all.

The gauge should be between the pump and rail and for N/A Vr's 3 bar at idle and with throttle should see 3,5 bar.

Fitting it to the return line will see no pressure....but i dontknow what set up you have. Are you still running stock VR rail and reg?

Thats a bit of a releif then I thought I was just being a bit of a show off, Standard rail and FPR so I'm guessing just pop it on the top hose next to the rocker cover for best results?

Thats a bit of a releif then I thought I was just being a bit of a show off, Standard rail and FPR so I'm guessing just pop it on the top hose next to the rocker cover for best results?

If its just a gauge then yes mate. :)

i had a gauge on my after-market fuel pressure regulator that i needed to run my r32.

a guy who worked in a hydraulics place and really knew his onions about gauges/hoses/fittings etc said that gauges don't like vibration. originally i was going to mount the pressure reg with the gauge in it on the side of the engine; but i ended up mounting it on the strut thank to the advice of this guy.

if you can mount the gauge somewhere solid, that would be best :D

Get the liquid filled ones...they hold up just fine to vibration

Thats what I opted for, a rather lovely looking liquid filled Marshall jobbie, Grabbed it off U.S ebay for a bit of a steal :)

mine was gel-filled, the guy said it would still be better to mount it where there was less vibration.

the gel is obviously there to help dampen the vibrtions, but if you can mitigate them just by mounting the gauge somewhere else (which shouldn't be a difficult job at theend of the day), then that's got to be better.

not saying you're wrong at all - but why not do it as nicely as possible the first time - longevity and all that...