Sign in to follow this  
big ben

how do you clean your car??

You wont need to clay new paint mate, the idea of clay barring is to remove the schitt that builds up over the years, so fresh paint wont have any :D

ok kool, thanksl!! :D

so, im thinking (with new paint)...

clean the wheels first

wash car with the snow, leave for a min

quick sponge over

jet wash off

spray on last tounch detailer when still wet

towel off

stand back and admire!!

am i right in saying there is no need to polish it at first? just a good clean and wax to protect it... then after 6 months or so will add a polish in there...

You wont need to clay new paint mate, the idea of clay barring is to remove the schitt that builds up over the years, so fresh paint wont have any :D

You'd think so! There's a Nissan GTR that's only a few months old and it would have benefited from a clay as the paint had swirls. Not exactly awful but a freshly clayed car sat next to it (both black) looked better even though it's about 6 years old.

dont start, im worried enough about how my resprays going to turn out!! the sooner its done the better...

blast the foam off with the hose/jetwash, don't rub it around with a sponge.

the idea is that the foam collects all the harsh dirt particles so you don't rub them into the paint

clean the wheels first

quick sponge over

jet wash off

towel off

stand back and admire!!

am i right in saying there is no need to polish it at first? just a good clean and wax to protect it... then after 6 months or so will add a polish in there...

Almost right...

- Clean wheels

- Cover car with snow foam, leave for 5 mins or so

- Pressure wash off

- If car was pretty dirty snow foam again, leave, and pressure wash off.

- Wash with a wash mitt NOT a sponge (especially on new paint, you'll just swirl it to fcuk!), including door/boot shuts using 2 buckets (preferablty with grit guards) one with shampoo (not fairy liquid) and one with clean water.

- Pressure wash, rinse with hose (I find the cleaner running water gets rid of left over suds better)

- Spray with Last Touch whilst wet

- Dry with a towel (waffle weave)

- Finish off with a final Last Touch using a microfibre cloth (to get rid of any streaks left over)

Stand back and admire a good job knowing your paint won't be swirled to fcuk 8)

sounds good!!looks like im going to be spending £300 odd on pressure washer and all the bits then, cant wait to get stuck in on fresh paint and keep it fcuking mint :D :clap:

clean the wheels first

quick sponge over

jet wash off

towel off

stand back and admire!!

Almost right...

- Clean wheels

- Cover car with snow foam, leave for 5 mins or so

- Pressure wash off

- If car was pretty dirty snow foam again, leave, and pressure wash off.

- Wash with a wash mitt NOT a sponge (especially on new paint, you'll just swirl it to fcuk!), including door/boot shuts using 2 buckets (preferablty with grit guards) one with shampoo (not fairy liquid) and one with clean water.

- Pressure wash, rinse with hose (I find the cleaner running water gets rid of left over suds better)

- Spray with Last Touch whilst wet

- Dry with a towel (waffle weave)

- Finish off with a final Last Touch using a microfibre cloth (to get rid of any streaks left over)

Stand back and admire a good job knowing your paint won't be swirled to fcuk 8)

Mine's about the same except I tend to bleed inbetween each step!

can anyone recommend ways to clean wheels then?? and any spray protectors i can put on??

i have chrome/polished rims...

1, Rinse the car

2, wash with a microfibre 'sponge' using megs cash wash (forget the name, but its blue)

3, Wash wheels

4, Squeegy (spell) all car with car squeegy

5, microfibre cloth to finish off drying off, inc inside doors and wheels

6, Clay bar if necessary otherwise straight to 7

7, spray wax onto the wheels - leave for 10 mins

8, Wipe wheels down

9, Megs 3 step Paint cleaner/polish and wax

Job done! :clap:

I highly recommend the Meguiars 3 step paint cleaner/polish and wax. Even weeks later you can just wash the car and it looks as though you've just done the megs 3 step on it. :D Excellent stuff.

The wheel wax may help to protect the wheels against brake dust a bit more.

The Megs 3 step products aren't the best really. Step 1 is a good paint cleaner, but Step 2 is more of a glaze than a polish as it contains no abrasives as a polish should. I would replace with a polish like Autoglym Super Resin Polish which is actually a polish and is stacked with fillers which will 'fill in' any light swirls you do inflict when washing (big-ben your new paint will be swirly to begin with as the bodyshop will wash it quikly with a sponge when it's covered in dust etc. it will also be covered in holograms/buffer trails I'd imagine from when they polish the new paint with a polisher using a harsh polish too quickly!).

And there are far better waxes than the Step 3 wax (which does smell amazing I'll give it that!) as it doesn't last very long really. I personally can't recommend Victoria Concours wax enough on dark cars, imo it's better than Dodo Juice, and only ~£30, bargain imo!

should i request they dont sponge it or use strong polish??

i could give them my own stuff to use??

should i request they dont sponge it or use strong polish??

i could give them my own stuff to use??

They have to use a strong polish to cut back the paint to the desired finish, if they went over again slower with a fine polish it will be perfect, but I doubt they'll do that. They will also need to wash it after as the polishing will cover the car in dust etc so they just give it a quick wash usually.

Also worth asking them how long until you can polish the paint after you get it back as fresh paint needs to harden so you won't be able to polish it for possibly a few weeks. Then i'd just give it a few goings over with some Super Resin which will cover up the holograms they leave behind and give it a nice fresh finish. Top with a quality wax and just enjoy the finish 8)