Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

BHP/Torque gains for fast road cams and gas flowing head?

Anyone had done or know what sort of performance gains you could expect for fitting fast road cams and gas flowing the head on a VR6? :)

Cheers

I personally think the money would be better spent elsewhere. Supercharger, gearbox restack etc etc.

Fitting cams and flowing the head usually just shifts the power and torque further up the rev range without releasing much power for your outlay, either.

A Shrick VGI + Cams + chip gives pretty good results though.

K

I personally think the money would be better spent elsewhere. Supercharger, gearbox restack etc etc.

Fitting cams and flowing the head usually just shifts the power and torque further up the rev range without releasing much power for your outlay, either.

A Shrick VGI + Cams + chip gives pretty good results though.

K

Cheers, only really considering it as i am thinking of getting head skimmed as compression is down on one cylinder and a lot of cost is in the labour of taking off and refitting head.

Whats a VGI, manifold?

Most of the cost is indeed labour but bear in mind a pair of Schrick cams will set you back £500, and you'll need a chip to make the most of increased valve duration and lift, so another £200 minimum! Put the £700 towards a blower instead!

Schrick VGI is that expensive variable length inlet manifold.

K

Agreeing with Kev...

That sort of head work is worth it on a G60 as you could quite easily see 200bhp, maybe 220 with a charger upgrade, chip and pulley... its alot more tunable engine from standard that the VR. I think thats the main reason the G60 has kept up with the image of the VR6 engine in the corrado world.

The only thing they could improved on the VR is fit the VGI as standard, its a good bolt on upgrade but not a huge amount extra for the £, I think if you are bored with the VR power then forced induction is the way to go (alot of wonga but biggest power gain) - a few supercharger kits are available and from what I have read they are fairly reliable, depending on the kit you could see 250 - 270 bhp and a bit more torque as well after a good custom map.

Another benifit is that they are also a bolt on upgrade and can be reversed in a hour or so and no need to lower compressions etc altho it maybe an idea to get the head checked and gaskets uprated on older, higher milage cars?

After reading up on vr tuning im eventually going to go for a vsr with schrick 268's and enlarged throttle body.

While the supercharger makes more power it only makes it right at the top of the rev range, the charger doesnt boost the engine down low like the charger in a g60 does wheras with the above mods there is a good boost low down the revs while still getting 220ish bhp.

The above will probably cost about the same fitted as a VF stage 1 charger would cost without fitting, but should be a much better drive. 8)

if compression is down on one cylinder and its no6 it could be a prob. well known for losing rings on no6 ( though you nornally get oil fouling plugs as well) which means a rebore.

my mate has done what you are doing to his golf vr6 and at stealth it made 205 bhp and stealth did the work

Nice one guys cheers, thats all useful stuff. To be honest I thought about a super charger but I don't really want that much power. I'm sure 220bhp and 215ish ftlb torque will be spot on for VR chassis. Just can't afford manifold yet and thought if the heads got too come off anyway! Compressions not to bad so may wait save my pennies and get it all done in one go later in the year.

Thanks again

Matt :)

I think the supercharger is better value for money and I'm sure you'll quickly get used to the extra power a vsr/cams give and want to upgrade further. The chassis copes well with 260hp/245lbft and because the power is progressive the chassis doesn't feel overwhelmed. Really you want to have a go in both modified cars so you can draw your own conclusions.

I think the supercharger is better value for money and I'm sure you'll quickly get used to the extra power a vsr/cams give and want to upgrade further. The chassis copes well with 260hp/245lbft and because the power is progressive the chassis doesn't feel overwhelmed. Really you want to have a go in both modified cars so you can draw your own conclusions.

I am sure I probably will/would get used to the power and that the Corrado chassis can cope admirably with the power a supercharger gives although I do like the balance of the std set-up on the tight b-roads where I live. The only thing really stopping me going for big power in the C though is that i get to drive a Mitsi EVO VI Tommi Mak at the weekends so fortunately my big power craving is met.(and there are more mods to come on that as well! :D )

Buy a 3.94 final drive, a quaife diff and schrick manifold.

Stick the charger.

:shock: How much would that little lot set me back?

You can pick up a second hand Schrick VGI for under £500 if you can find one. And before anyone says "no you can't" well I paid £430 for mine....

Diff if £525, plus £70 for the bolts, final drive is £200 I think. plus fitting.

You can pick up a second hand Schrick VGI for under £500

Where do you look for one of these I have been searching e-bay for past year and have never seen one yet alone been able to bid for one!

Is the diff really necessary with 200bhp, does it make that much difference to the drive?

Yeah the diff does make a difference. If you want to get an idea of what it feels like, see if you can test drive a Focus RS as that has a Quaiffe diff in it.

The Ford has a reputation for dangerous tramlining on rural roads because of it, but I don't know what affect they have on a VW.

You can bung a Supercharger on etc for instant gratification but Phat's way of doing it is by getting the most out of what you've already got....i.e. putting all the power down with an LSD, lowering the gearing and boosting torque with a Schrick. I think he's put in some really quick 1/4 mile times with a 'modest' 200bhp.

K

The diff makes a huge difference but doesnt offer any of the dangerous tramlining that the focus has. Thats probably more to do with the large wheels and very stiff suspension than the diff.

I havent had a great chance to test out my diff yet as the weathers been crap since I got my car back but driving about normally you wouldnt even know it was there.

Pulling out of junctions though with a bit too much throttle that would normally cause the inside wheel to spin, you feel it just start to go then you can feel the power transferring to the other wheel and the car just pulls out the junction, the steering does fight you a bit at this time but its nowhere near dangerous. 8)

On medium and high speed corners there is none of the fighting of the steering, you keep on the power and the car just holds its line very well, it will eventually slide but you will be going a lot faster than normal when it does, its still very predictable on the limit though, all of this is in the wet remember. :twisted:

I would say the diff is the best mod ive done to a car and it will be one of the first things i will do to any fwd car I may own in the future. :D

Liking the sound of that Joe will seriously consider it, in fact I will go and have a look now at availability and prices :)