Sign in to follow this  
LisaK

Removed ventilation cover, found another issue :o/ - G60

The number "2" part is the black cover which is apparently part of the ventilation on top of the rocker cover. I've got a teeny oil leak which I suspect is from the gasket underneath no "2" and I tried pulling the cover off lightly but it's not shifting. I didn't want to force it just in case I broke something so how on earth do I take it off?

Jon. There are two "2a" bolts actually. And seriously. You are starting to wind me up now :?

Hiya - it should just pull if you've taken both machine screws out - maybe give it a bit of a twist...

Unusual place for a leak tbh and it might be the engine is starting to breath heavily so also have a look round for collapsed pipes in the vac system

I reckon that rubber seal may have just dried out from heat/ age etc - new ones are about £3 from VW

Hiya - it should just pull if you've taken both machine screws out - maybe give it a bit of a twist...

Unusual place for a leak tbh and it might be the engine is starting to breath heavily so also have a look round for collapsed pipes in the vac system

I reckon that rubber seal may have just dried out from heat/ age etc - new ones are about £3 from VW

I wasn't sure exactly what it was (til I looked at vagcat tonight) and didn't want to break anything so didn't try and force the cover off. It's not leaking in huge amounts, just leaves a slight oil residue on the rocker cover but I'd rather get it sorted. I'll give it another go tomorrow, thanks :)

as previously mentioned, undo the two crosshead bolts and jiggle with a bit of upward force, its held secure by a mild barb into the rubber grommet

I managed to remove the cover with a bit of twisting and I found that it's the breather pipe which is leaking, not the gasket. Now, what I didn't expect was the whole thing to come off in my hands :? The end looks like its snapped and has been like that for a while and I'm guessing it's not meant to be like that!!?

14wvnee.jpg

eflwth.jpg

I've looked in the bay and on vagcat and I still can't find where it's meant to attach to. Helllllllp

with the pipe being that length and you not being able to find the other end, id guess it was venting to the atmosphere

Yeh you have a deleted boost return and they have vented that to the atmosphere. You can either out a breather filter on the end or maybe run a pipe to a catch tank which is a slightly better job?