Sign in to follow this  
ANDREW 30

Ticket for pressed plates!

I've owned my Vr for a few months now but i've only had my car on the road for about 2 weeks, yesterday morning on my way to work i got pulled by a traffic car!

They said they'd seen me going in the other direction the day before on my way to and from work and noticed my plates, so they waited to on my route to catch me the following morning!

I thought they'd give me a warning and a chance to get them chaged but no, they just slapped me with a £60 fine!

I'm gutted, i'd only been saying to the wife the day before i was'nt that keen on the plates the car had come with and was going to get them changed :brickwall:

thats arse mate, worst bit is. there is sod all you can do about it because they are illegal.. :/

I`ve got pressed plates on my car, which when I brought them made sure they were legal. never had any trouble from the law , they have even followed me whith no trouble. As long as they aren`t german spec you should be OK.

Sorry to hear that you got F over, bloody coppers :cuckoo:

to be legal they have to have the place where they were made, the postcode of said place and the dvla stamp on the very far right.

to be legal they have to have the place where they were made, the postcode of said place and the dvla stamp on the very far right.

Only on New ones...., if they are older you don't have too!

I've owned my Vr for a few months now but i've only had my car on the road for about 2 weeks, yesterday morning on my way to work i got pulled by a traffic car!

They said they'd seen me going in the other direction the day before on my way to and from work and noticed my plates, so they waited to on my route to catch me the following morning!

I thought they'd give me a warning and a chance to get them chaged but no, they just slapped me with a £60 fine!

I'm gutted, i'd only been saying to the wife the day before i was'nt that keen on the plates the car had come with and was going to get them changed :brickwall:

How come the £60 fine???? Should only be £30 fixed penalty

How come the £60 fine???? Should only be £30 fixed penalty[/quote:1zlc7y23]

front and rear a fine for each ?

if so thats taking the Pi$$

Rob

So if you have plates that don't meet current regulations but aren't German, ie incorrrect font, do you still get done by pc plod? My other car has pressed (but reflective) plates with a GB badge but German font. Is that illegal?

dunno anything about pressed plates, but what's riduculous about this is the fact the rozzers deliberately waited for you, a coincidental encounter then 'fair cop' (!) but to arrange their crime fighting day around nabbing you for such a minor offence is :cuckoo:

I would imagine you could have problems, they said they are cracking down on it and any plates that did'nt comply with dvla standards would get pulled up by them!

I just wish i'd acted soon and changed them as now it's costed me £85 instead of the £25 for just the plates!

So if you have plates that don't meet current regulations but aren't German, ie incorrrect font, do you still get done by pc plod? My other car has pressed (but reflective) plates with a GB badge but German font. Is that illegal?

Yes, they will be illegal. They have to have the correct height / width of letters, spacing, correct font, not honeycomb, no flag (except EU symbol) correct relective background, name of supplier on bottom and BS mark / mark. If any of these is not applied to plates fitted you are breaking the law.

You do however, get pressed plates that meet all of the above requirements.

Its crap but amazes me when people complian about this. It is petty by the cops and seems a waste of time but if you get caught just take it on the chin.

Im for plain and simple everytime, whats the big deal with pressed plates anyway?

If anyone's in doubt about what the rules are you can read them on the DVLA website.

While I sympathise with the OP's annoyance at getting the fine (especially since they've increased it recently) German style plates were illegal with UK registrations even before the regulations were changed, so it's pointless to complain about being nabbed if you run them.

I changed mine to legal plates. Never got pulled in 8 years but just couldnt be arsed with the constant thought that I might do.

Still like the look of pressed plates tho. These are std script with all the legal bumf on them.