Sign in to follow this  
Ian Campbell

Corrado steering wander

Hi all,i have just found this forum and thought this could just be the place for some much needed info! I have a 2 litre 1992 Corrado only 60000 miles had it for 12 years but the last while the steering has started to wander also if you cross the white lines or a small rut etc the steering grabs and pulls one way, the car is well maintained and only gets used in the summer months and now its getting on my wick!! Hoping somebody can shed some light on it,thanks. :confused4:

If you search the forum (hopefully) you should find a multitude of threads and postings covering this sort of thing.

But a quick list would involve checking:

tyre pressure

front wheel bearings

wishbone rear bushes

wishbone ball joints

track rod ends and inner joints

shock absorbers

suspension top mounts

If the car is running on original parts, then all of these could do with replacing to bring back that sharp Corrado handling, but wishbone bushes and ball joints are a favourite and suspension top mounts do get a fair bit of play in them as they get old.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Hi all,i have just found this forum and thought this could just be the place for some much needed info! I have a 2 litre 1992 Corrado only 60000 miles had it for 12 years but the last while the steering has started to wander also if you cross the white lines or a small rut etc the steering grabs and pulls one way, the car is well maintained and only gets used in the summer months and now its getting on my wick!! Hoping somebody can shed some light on it,thanks. :confused4:

Mine did this....turned out to be the only thing I didn't replace....the front tyres :D

I'd say it would be bushes and ball joints. Regardless of mileage, rubber still perishes with age so 12 year old rubber is going to be pretty passed it by now. You will notice a BIG difference if you renew all your bushes, ball joints, track rod ends, top mounts etc etc as David mentioned, the car will drive like new again!

I'm going to say that it's the wishbone, mine came up as an MOT advisory (wearing but not causing movement) and gradually I've noticed your symptoms start to appear. I'm planning to change mine next month as the aprt is only around £18 (for the wishbone with bushes already installed) and I expect if I have to send it to the garage to be fitted it'll be around £80 inc VAT on a labour only rate (1.5 hours, the same as I paid for the front wheel bearing).

Well plenty of you seem to have a bit of knowledge of this problem,the car is due an mot shortly i have a friend who works in a dealership so i,ll get him to do a good check on these parts and hopefully something will be knackered!!! Thanks all for your input,i'll be in touch. :salute: