Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

GTR Test drive [Now with pics on page 8]

Is the dust clumping and blocking the holes?

Only way is to take the wheels off and poke the holes through with a suitably sized implement! I have to dig compacted dust out of my grooves periodically too. It's part and parcel of maintaining high performance brakes!

Yeh, its not fully blocking the holes but not far from it.

Fair enough, I thought that but was hoping for an easier, less time consuming method. Ah well, serves us right for having such brakes eh :lol:

If your probe is long enough though, you should be able to prod it through without taking the wheel off, you just have to push the car along to reveal all the holes.

Grooved and holed discs effectively become plain discs when plugged with brake dust, so one has to question the need for them, but you don't get a choice. AP don't sell a plain disc in our sizes and your OE discs a holed if you like it or not!

For some reason I doubt it, I dont think you can get a fine enough point in the spray with a consistently high pressure to be able to target the holes properly, but I will certainly give it a go. I'm always down at the jetwash to clean the car.

I'm assuming the jetwash pressure is about the same as something you would have at home, say a Karcher or whatever?

My Karcher came with a super powerful blaster lance, which spins and pulses the water a bit like a hammer drill I guess, and the crap that can shift off 45 year old concrete is amazing, so that particular lance might work on discs :D

I would try, but my Karcher blew up. Apparently they've gone from metal to plastic pumps recently and they're not as reliable as they used to be.

Don't tell anyone, but I looked on the detailing forum and discovered the pressure washer of choice these days is a Nilfisk as they still use metal pumps!

Oh, I forgot to mention (for the likes of Jim who also wanted to know what the experience of buying Nissan's flagship would be like), when I went for the Optimisation Service, my courtesy car was a '10 plate with 90miles on the clock, 370Z Roadster :D

Awesome! Don't think it'll be a 370Z when we take my partners Micra DCI in for its first service!! :)

Also vaguely on topic, the cheapo £30 pressure washer I got from B&Q a month or so back is pretty powerful and you can adjust the water jet on the lance to be a nice wide "fan" all the way down to a strong narrow jet. Even on the fan mode it hurts to put your hand into the stream, so on the straight jet, I'd imagine that'd blast dust out of brake disks ok!

Thought you might like to see this...close but not quite yet.

[youtube:19hq1yly]WVJPVeU-Z0c[/youtube:19hq1yly]

[youtube:3u75fwcm]WVJPVeU-Z0c[/youtube:3u75fwcm]

looks like a real chore doing that :lol:

[youtube:3req68uo]WVJPVeU-Z0c[/youtube:3req68uo]

those runs are mental...

to be that close to a car which costs 10 times as much is some achievement indeed. i'm surprised the veyron owner didnt throw his toys out and go home..

think you picked a good car Dr. :salute:

No doubt, that GTR is some car for the money :)

mmmmmm... Veyron :luvlove:

There is another youtube vid where the GTR has been tuned and absolutely hoses on the Veyron, like what the Veyron did in this vid against the GTR, must be stupidly tuned!! If I can find it, will post it up here! :)

Bigger turbos, plain and simple :D Nissan being Nissan will have made the new motor as bomb proof as the old Skyline one I suspect. There's defo a few 700-800hp GTRs kicking around American land!

As for the Veyron, it's capable of a lot more than 1000hp, but few owners have the kahunas to wind the wick up. Hardly surprising though given it's price tag!

Ya know, you'd think buying a quick enough car as standard would stop you from making it faster, but noooooo.... :shrug:

I'm not having go at the person with the bigger turbos, I'm having a go at all car enthusiasts, including myself! :cuckoo:

It's the same with everything mate, once you've got what you wanted, you don't want it anymore :lol: So you can either mod it and make it more personalised, or move on to something else. There is also the small matter of speed, it's very addictive and when you know more of it is just a few keyboard presses away, people exploit it!

For me, I liked the Corrado's styling, but didn't like the brakes, suspension or lack of grunt, so I duly addressed those issues and it's now the Corrado I've always wanted. I'm sure you will be tweaking that GTR before you know it!

Well I already have a wee list of stuff I want done to the GTR :norty: Only a wee list for the moment, but still a list :lol:

Those GTR's have been fettled. This is what standard against standard is like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzNtQyEp-ME

Yeah, forgot to say it has been messed with.

As for the Veyron, it's capable of a lot more than 1000hp, but few owners have the kahunas to wind the wick up. Hardly surprising though given it's price tag!

I'm sure there is a tuning company out there who will up it to about 1200 bhp?

The GTR is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

With Race mode on the gearchange setting and Race mode on the suspension setting, it makes a helluva difference than in "normal" mode.

Out of bends the car just catapults you out.

If you plant the foot from 1st gear, you get like a a couple of tenths of a second of wheelspin and then it just grip and then from thereon out, it just keeps piling on the speed like no tomorrow, managed 165mph yesterday (on a private road....) and it was just calm, relaxed, no drama at all with me and my passenger being able to hold a conversation at that speed.

Around bends, the harder you push it the tighter the line it holds, the harder you push it the harder it wants you to push it!!!

Will try and see if I can get any quicker than 165mph on this road :D

:clap:

165mpg, or mph? I assume the latter :lol:

Nice one chap! It truly does sound like the machine of all machines. No wonder it beat a 911 turbo round the ring.... and for half the price :lol: