Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

K3 Engine Management system

I'm planning on fitting an audi 3.2 engine into my corrado and this engine management system seems quite reasonable for cost. What are the advantages and disadvantages to using this with a late spec audi 3.2?

If you want to run the engine as VW intended, i.e. DBW, Mass Air as load, knock control, cam control, dual lambda (1 per bank), Variable intake control etc etc then only a Motec ECU will do all that out of the box in the

DTA, Emerald etc, forget it! You need a cable throttle and they can't do Mass air or knock regulation. The DTA can do a lot more than the Emerald though and I would pay the extra for an S80 over a K3 any day of the week.

My advice? Use the original Audi ECU and loom :D

If you want to run the engine as VW intended, i.e. DBW, Mass Air as load, knock control, cam control, dual lambda (1 per bank), Variable intake control etc etc then only a Motec ECU will do all that out of the box in the

DTA, Emerald etc, forget it! You need a cable throttle and they can't do Mass air or knock regulation. The DTA can do a lot more than the Emerald though and I would pay the extra for an S80 over a K3 any day of the week.

My advice? Use the original Audi ECU and loom :D

I would use the original setup, but for some reason the guy who had the car, cut the original looms!! It's impossible to source these anywhere. Once I take into account sourcing and buying the looms, conversion of looms, immob defeat etc it comes to just under £1000

K3 starts from £580 as a kit, and from what I could tell from their website and product info, the kist works with dbw throttle, has a lead for know sensor but no idea if it can do the mass air reg, cam control (although it does mention something similar) variable intake control.

How come Motec is soooo much more expensive than dta and emerald?

listen to what kev told you, just wait until the original loom and ecu is available. If i remeber right the actuall loom was not that expensive to buy from VW. and you do get the ecu's come up on kraut e-bay from time to time.

listen to what kev told you, just wait until the original loom and ecu is available. If i remeber right the actuall loom was not that expensive to buy from VW. and you do get the ecu's come up on kraut e-bay from time to time.

I have the ecu, that was easy to source, but the looms are an ar5e to find. Might give audi a try and see how much they would cost. That is if they even bother to help at me because I have no chassis number etc

Any idea of rough costs?

I was just thinking out loud about aftermarket management, I just have the option and wondered about the pro's and con's. In a few years time I will be turboing/chargring the lump.

I agree that original setup is ideal, just getting miffed that I can't get the parts to get started.

Im having my R32 engine fitted sometime around now, down at Gwerks and thats going to be using a DTA s60 Pro setup, and the guy who we are buying the ECU from has his R32 using the same managment and still manages 285Bhp...which doesnt sound too bad at all to me??

Im having my R32 engine fitted sometime around now, down at Gwerks and thats going to be using a DTA s60 Pro setup, and the guy who we are buying the ECU from has his R32 using the same managment and still manages 285Bhp...which doesnt sound too bad at all to me??

does it use all of the r32 features?

Already looked at that, and it appears to be interior only. Well thats what google translate tells me. I've even tried contacting the guy but no reply yet.

If it was, do you reckon it would be ok even though its designed for LHD?

havent got a clue about that TBH, classic case of someone getting to do all the mechanical bits for me im afraid! but you could also speak to Ben, dont know if he's still about on this forum, but he fitted an R32 into a storm and used an Emerald setup, which also produced around the 280bhp mark. He knows a fair bit more about how it all works. Failing that ask Darren at Gwerks, im sure he will be able to give you the pros and cons, as he's doing two conversions at the moment...

How come Motec is soooo much more expensive than dta and emerald?

It's the price you have to pay for their name, experience and quality I'm afraid.

The trouble is with Motec, if the £2000 ECU price isn't enough (M600), you then have to pay £250 to upgrade to DBW, another £250 to upgrade to Knock control etc etc. and they also charge you £150 just to tell you the wiring details for a DBW throttle and pedal. The really gauling thing is it's all built into the ECU, the fees are to 'unlock' the functions with a software passcode. It absolutely sucks and they're money grabbing bastards, but they are the best management systems going. Oh and the software is absolutely crap aswell.....but the hardware is the absolute dogs danglies.

DTA and Emerald are cheaper because they have less functions and the hardware isn't as good quality. DTA have a DBW box in development but isn't available yet. Emerald don't have DBW afaik, it's certainly not in their software just yet.

You can run an R32 on the K3 no worries and it will make good power, but it may not make the power as nicely or as smoothly as it does on the factory management.

what are the advantages of dbw compared to the standard cable, hav driven an s200 with and without and honestly cant tell the difference :scratch: