Sign in to follow this  
tobe_k

Black Vinyl Bonnet?

Hi, Bought a roll of black vinyl the other day, planning on covering my roof... but do i also do the bonnet?

Basically, its a satin silver car, but the bonnet is badly mis matched in colour and the laquer is peeling... so it needs a re-spray whatever, thought black vinyl may get me out of this fairly cheaply...

want peoples opinions as to weather it looks good? I've attempted a pretty bad photochop, wha'd ya recon?

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfblackbonnet2.JPG[/attachment:2vlosiit]

Oh and one more thing, does anyone know what this splitter is off?

Airride1Medium.jpg[/attachment:2vlosiit]

Cheers. Tobe

haha, it was done in paint! not the most tools on hand to make a decent job... worked with what i had... if anyone wants to do me another feel free ;)

Just found that splitter, dont seem to be any around, but im going to try seat tomorrow and see. 90mm splitters just get taken off on the slightest bumps so i gotta get something else really.

Im going to vinyl the bonnet, and like you say, if i dont like it i can whip it off and get a respray!

Was also thinking about doing the A pillars, door tops and C pillars, making a black cockpit type thing, but one step at a time hey, see how it looks on the bonnet and roof first...

Personally I dont like the whole black bonnet thing. On light colours it just looks daft I think and reminds me of Civics etc. Nice looking car you have there, dont spoil it.

I know completley what you mean.... I'm not sure im keen myself, but finding a satin silver VR bonet is impossible, and i cant really afford the cost of respraying mine at the moment.... Its really tatty, just lets the whole car down, although i see what your saying.. It might look even worse with a black one....

hmm, im back to just doing the roof again.....

I know completley what you mean.... I'm not sure im keen myself, but finding a satin silver VR bonet is impossible, and i cant really afford the cost of respraying mine at the moment.... Its really tatty, just lets the whole car down, although i see what your saying.. It might look even worse with a black one....

hmm, im back to just doing the roof again.....

how much are you thinking a respray will cost? if you looked at £200 max, less the £40 the splitter would cost you, put aside £50 a month you'd have it done by the end of the year!

True, but saving to do my bike tests at the moment, all my money seems to be going towards that.. plus i have the roll of vinyl for the roof so just thought i might throw it on temporarily. But after this thread, i've definatley started to think twice about it, which is good, i appreciate peoples opinions.. Save for a respray i guess, just means it might have to wait a little longer than id like.

So long as its not rusting then I wouldnt be too bothered. Jist wait till someone comes up witha 2nd hand bonnet. Only issue is Satin is quite hard to colour match I think so wings might need some blending in. Still no excuse for a black bonnet though!! :lol:

Was raking around some old photos and came across this. Slightly different from vinyl. Take one packet of Solvite wallpaper paste, one roll of wallpaper and a small tin of varnish. Twenty minutes later you had a new car. I think I changed it about a dozen times beforre I got rid of the Mini.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfMiini.JPG[/attachment:2plyuvue]

Oh and a dream that nearly came true. Went to a Farm Closure sale in backstate Ontario and bough this Stingray for $200. Left Canada before it was fully restored and sold it for $8000 to a guy in Toronto. Can't find any later pics of it.

Stingray.JPG[/attachment:2plyuvue]

Carbon Fibre bonnets only just about get away with being left black, paint and vinyl I would say a definite no no, roof might look pretty cool though

i think the black vinyl will look a bit pikey/cheap.

i'd rather part with £100? ish to have the bonnet painted.

how much is vinyl and glue and how long with it take, will it last very long?

That mini trick is hilarious! Not sure it would suit the rado!

Vinyl only cost me a tenner for enough to do the bonnet. I did it, but had a few too many bubbles and creases for a first attempt. Gave me a good idea of how it looks though and i wasn't too keen. I think the roof in black would look sounds though...

so the vinyl was ripped off, which actually helped take the rest of the laquer off ready for prepping. Going to get a couple of quotes and see what it will cost. In the areas the vinyl actually worked, it looked mint, almost like new paint. Im pretty sure a black roof on a silver car would work well, so thats the decision... Just need to sort the rust on the roof first before covering.

i just don't like it, but that me.

If it was real carbon and on a 500bhp jap motor i wouldn't mind it being there......

but the corrado is too classy for a painted or vinyl black bonnet

Wallpaper that mofo! A nice bit of 70s paisley should do the trick. I can definitely see it being the next 'scene' thing. :lol:

The Mini was pretty easy, especially just using wallpaper. Vinyl is more difficult and I used slightly soapy water sprayed onto the surface before applying it. The Mini sides are pretty much flat and that makes it easier though an extra set of hands helps. The process is something like this.

Really give the area a good clean. I used Cif cream and plenty of water. It's cheap and effective, but keep it away from areas you don't want to have to rewax.

Fill a spray bottle with tap water and a couple of drips, no more, of Fairy liquid.

Remove the protective backing from the vinyl. As you are removing the vinyl, you want to spray the sticky side lightly with the soapy water solution.

Spray the car thoroughly with the soapy water where the vinyl will be applied, then stick the vinyl onto the vehicle.

Spray the top surface of the vinyl with water. This provides a lubricant between the vinyl and the squeegee.

Now squeegee from the middle outward to take all of the air bubbles, wrinkles and excess water.

If the surface has curves use a hair dryer to slowly stretch and work the vinyl around the curves.

Best to let the vinyl dry on the car for 24 hours before taking the car for a drive to allow the vinyl to fully adhere to the vehicle.

Don't know exaclty how it all works but with a bit of care you get there. The soapy water let's you work the vinyl as it stops it instantly adhering to the paint. As with all these things try it on something you don't need to get a bit of practice

Cut the wallpaper roughly to size and shape. Paste it well and allow to soak to make it supple. Apply a coat of paste to the car and carefully offer up the paper. Use a wallpaper brush to smooth out and trim with a sharp blade. Allow to dry and give a coat of clear varnish. In the mini in the picture I used a strip of chrome tape along the top edge and some checked stuff down the centre of the chrome just to finish it off. It's just like papering a slightly curved wall, and it lasted really well. I think I changed it about fifteen times all in all. See a wallpaper I fancied, buy it, strip the car and repaper. Different car for the weekend.