ricickles

battery tray possible m.o.t fail

Removed the battery from my raddo today only to find 2 big rusty holes directly underneath where the bat sits.

i also noticed the previous owner has secured the battery with cable ties as the clamp bolt has snapped.

so will this fail its mot due to the holes?

and whats the best alternative way of securing the battery?

il get pics up tomorrow hopefully

Cheers

You can get battery trays fairly cheaply from VW - problem is welding them in...

Has the bolt just snapped in the hole? If so just drill it out and re-tap

put the battery back in and see if its secure there can only fail what there see and in most cases will go through :D

yup the bolts snapped and ive tried to drill and retap it but its just in to odd a space to get a drill in.

and yeah the holes are covered by the bat.

i thing im going to get 2 bits of screwed rod at the front and back of the bat and a piece of flat bar ontop to secure it.

would this pass an mot?

aslong as the tray hasnt got movement you should be fine, the mot is stupid the battery tray has to be secure but the battery can be loose and there can only advise on it lol

Two threaded rods and a flat bar was a common way to secure batteries and I dont see why it shouldn't be satisfactory now. All you need is somewhere secure to screw them into.

I have the same problem Although my bracket still works. I was advised on here to buy a mk2 golf one from heritage and have it welded in which I bought but haven't had it fitted yet as it keeps sailing through its MOT each year