Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

G12 from gsf vs G12 from VW?

Finally got around to replacing the aux water pump today and fitted the gruvenparts bracket i've had for about a year :clap:

What i need to know is, is it safe to mix the pink G12 coolant from gsf with the stuff i've bought from VW? are they the same? what is the difference between G12 and G12+?

only buy G12+ or the latest offering from VW, it's not very expensive from VW anyway so if GSF don't have it go to VW.

don't use or buy more G12, if you can still get some, as it mustn't be mixed with anything else so isn't worth the risk.

If you only have one litre of G12+ then just put that in for now and fill the rest with distilled (battery top up) water, then as soon as you can get some more G12+ just drain off a litre from your system.

not sure what the stuff is i got from gsf then, i take it VW is g12+ because i have a load of that already mixed

will upload a photo of what i got from gsf, see if i can mix them?

i usually do get it from the dealer, i just added some to my last order from gsf to bulk it out a bit.

i got a photo of whatever it is, i'll upload at some point

this is the stuff from gsf

DSC01631.jpg

DSC01632.jpg

is it ok to mix with the stuff from VW dealership?

Do you know what you've got in your car at the moment? As in, G12, G12+ or G12++ ? I can double check the bottle in a bit, but I'm pretty sure that G12+ onwards states that it doesn't turn to jelly if mixed with other coolants.

Don't take my word for that until I've had a chance to read the bottle though.

yeah, it's just the G12 that was the trouble maker, shouldn't mix that with anything else.

G12+ can be mixed as can G12++ but I think I'd rather have all of one make in there

this is the stuff from gsf

is it ok to mix with the stuff from VW dealership?

Looks like defferent branches stock different things. I've been buying the genuine branded G12+ from my local (worthing) branch of GSF for a couple of years now.

After a non-genuine mix up (where everything went hideously wrong) in my old audi I wouldn't trust anything else. Last purchase was priced £4.95 +VAT a bottle.

sound advice, i think rather than bothering to risk anything for about £10 i will find another use for this and buy some from VW for the corrado :clap:

it makes a good inhibitor for your central heating system, :lol: just don't mix it with Fernox... hang on, we're back where we started.

The thing to remember about all of these anti-freeze/summer coolant is that the name is misleading, the prime reason for these things in the cooling system is as corrosion prohibitors, the slight increase in boiling temp of the system is fairly minimal - most of the extra comes from the pressurisation.

yes the pressure does increase the boiling temp but also the antifreeze does lower the freezing temp and as it has colligative properties it does also raise the boiling temp significantly :eek: not contradicting or anything, just saying :gag: