Sign in to follow this  
ANDREW 30

Head gasket gone on my VR!

The head gaskets gone on my VR, whilst it's being replaced at the garage is there any other jobs that are worth having done that are easy to get to whists the head is off!

I was thinking along the lines of clutch and chains and tensioners etc!

Andrew

It's been losing water but no leak found, puffs of white smoke when pulling away and not running right.

Also yesterday when i went to start it the engine would'nt turn over, which i believe is called hydraulicing!

So i'm pressuming it's gone, is there anything else it could be?

Check your oil, undo filler cap, if it's white and creamy this is caused by water contamination - if the car is usually only used for short runs, it could be condensation and nothing to worry about.

To check if it's hydraulic locked, take the plugs out and see if the engine then turns. It would be interesting to put some kitchen towel loosly over the plug holes to see if anything gets spat out of the cylinders.

Definitely get the chains, tensioners and clutch done at the same time, head refurbed, valve guides and stem seals replaced, head skimmed, water pump replaced.

Big bill, but should be good for a hundred thousand miles once it's done.

Will these chains guides etc be okay to use: http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_belts.php

they also have the water pump, where would be the best place to get the stem seals and valve guides from?

Would i be better getting off getting this head in this thread instead as it sounds like it had everything done: http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... 13&t=82565

How much should I be looking at to have all thats been listed done?

Cheers Andrew

Those chains will probably be ok. Don't buy the top tensioner pad from them though. Get a MK4 unit and the bolt to go with it.

Let the company who skim the head etc source and fit the guides and stem seals.

You need to skim the head no matter what.