Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

Alarm Installation Certificate

Well the useless people at Directline have managed to lose both the certificate of my no claims and, more importantly, my certificate for my alarm installation.

According to their requirements I had to send them my Original certificate rather than a copy and even though I took a photocopy before I sent it they won't accept it as proof.

So my question is two fold -

1) Are they talking rubbish and where do I stand on either making them accept my copy as they are currently saying I'm not covered for theft until I can prove I've got an alarm?

2) How do I go about getting a new certificate? The alarm works fine so I'd rather not get a new one installed if possible.

Useless tw@ts didn't manage to mess up getting their money out of my bank though! :mad2:

I'd say they were totally liable as THEY Have lost your original and therefore totally resposible so I feel they should be the ones to get a new certificate issued for you from the source that yours came from.

As for not accepting a copy of what THEY have lost then Feck Me!!!! UNREAL! I'd be furious mate. guess you wont be usung the imbeciles again huh? and neither will I :bad-words:

I'd get a full refund and Feck them right off! There's no way they could charge you for admin costs in reality i feel.

I think you'll have to take your car to a dealer who does your type of alarm for them to give it a full service & check over then they should be able to issue you a certificate at a pretty penny though no doubt. :roll:

Yeah but..... will they even believe that you sent the original to them and they have lost it?

Did they say they lost it though or not recieved it?

No Claims certificate will be issued by your previous insurers if you ask nicely :wink:

Well one of the basics of law in this country is the postal rule, if you can prove you posted it then it should be up to the other company to prove they didn't receive it. I can prove I sent it as it was franked and recorded as I sent it through the system at work. Whether that will really get me anywhere is a complete guess though.

They are happy to accept the photocopy I took of my no claims certificate so I'll fax that over tomorrow.... any ideas whether I can get the alarm re-certified?

Not sure about the alarm Michael, it's prob best to search for a local alarm fitters near you that fit what you have and ask them :?

I used to work for an independent Car-Audio shop, and we used to offer a service whereby you took your car in and one of our fitters would do an inspection and then we'd produce a letter as proof of fitment of Thatcham approved alarm. I'm sure there will be other places that do the same thing. We charged £25 for the letter.

As far as the insurance certificate is concerned, they should have never asked you for the original, and even if it's there policy to do so, they should have returned it as soon as they had taken a copy of it. But I copy sent by you should be perfectly acceptable. THEY are totally liable for the loss and they cannot say they never had the original in the first place, as they asked you for it last year. You should make THEM pay for you to get the alarm inspected to prove make/model etc. I think it's bad form on their part. We've recently taken out a policy with Brentacre, and a copy of our alarm certificate was perfectly fine.