Sign in to follow this  
g0ldf1ng3r

HELP - fuel leak from rear und & searching not helping......

please please please could someone help me with my VR6

i have a very tiny fuel leak & after many hours searching on here i can not find anything which relates to my issue......im hopeing someone on here may have had something similar or be experienced enough to help :)

description is.....

it is a wierd 1!!

basically when u look under the offside rear and follow the pipe which looks like it comes from the fuel tank the pipe has an interchanger to connect to what i think is the fuel pump......can anyone tell me where the fuel pump is on a vr6 as i am guessing & some posts on here are saying it may be in the fuel tank and if so i dont know what the object is im reffering to?

the leak seems to either be from the pipe wich connects to what i think is the fuel pump......its a cylindrical shape obect with an obvious in & out pipe & has a plastic cowling over it.....on underside of car close to offside back wheel?

thing is that the pipe doesnt seem to be or feel degraded & i dont know if a C fuel pump [if thats what it is] can leak fuel when it still works?

plus it doesnt show a leak when engine running but when its stopped & been sat there for say 15 mins there is a tiny bit of fuel collecting on the metal clip holding the pipe in to the object

further to this if the car is left for a couple of hours there is no sign of the leak at all and the pipe is dry

i will try to post a pic of the object i refer to but if anyone has any ideas i would be most grateful........all i keep thinking of is my poor baby going up in flames :( lol

thanks in advance

i have the exact same problem and have heard others mention it?

its really odd, i've changed the filter last week and have yet to see if it makes a difference. The leak is so on and off, i.e: not occuring every time, its hard to find out whats causing it.

none of my pipes seems perished, but the little clips that clamp them on didn't seem very tight and were pretty rusty and old looking

if its in a plastic housing with 2 screws, one at front one at back its the fuel filter. mine was leaking as well, i replaced the filter and stuck some jubilee clips on and it sorted the leak. hey ho presto... no more leak!

Hi all

yeah done the same thing with new clips and it's cured it.

If theres only a small leak appearing whilst it's stationary then it should be just a sign that the filter retaining clips are insufficient. When the fuel is under pressure (low) in the pipe it aids the seal around the filter inlet and outlet pipes, once the pressure is reduced and the seal is slightly perished then you will get a small leak. If the seals totally go then you have problems as it would look something like Niagra Falls but with fuel spilling out every where as you hear the engine die as you glide into the side of the road :(

Have had the same problem on a Passat and my C but cured them with a new filter and clips.

Best of luck.

Stu

Tought of the day

Why did I give up smoking last weekend? :mad2:

Oh yeah! Fuel leaks on my C!!!!

Stu

Still not smoking and hating every moment of it!!!!

what do you mean clips? the clips that hold on the fuel filter housing are ridiculous, almost as if they are designed to break to get the thing off to change the filter. as for the fuel filter pipe clips i just used jubilee clips

yeah the clips on the pipes i meant

took me a while to get the plastic housing off, but sussed it out in the end

thanks all, much appreciated :)

do you think its worth changing the filter as well as the clips holding the pipes onto it?

i have wiped the cylinder clean and no new residue has appeared & no other running problems are obvious

thanks again

if your taking the clips off to change, then it will take seconds to put a new filter in, and they are cheap, so i would.

i only changed the filter as i wanted to check out the pipes etc

if your taking the clips off to change, then it will take seconds to put a new filter in, and they are cheap, so i would.

i only changed the filter as i wanted to check out the pipes etc

ha kinda what i thought :)

new filter being collected 2day, fingers crossed all goes well

got the corrado out lastnight, after i've done the filter and it was leaking fuel.

got under with a torch while it was leaking and it was the pipe from fuel tank to filter. it was all wet where it meets the filter and dripping from there. I think it has to be the clip

new filter fitted - once i managed to get the damn plastic cowling off lol

now dry as a bone - thanks to all who replied :)

i'd keep an eye on it, i now have a habit of checking there each time i start car lol.

indeed it needs a close eye.....in fact i think checking it is gona give me OCD lol