24V Renshaw

PROJECT ROXSTER....PORSCHE DASH IN

Sorry for your loss J, good luck with the move though, cant wait for updates on the rado!

sorry to hear about that mate. I met your dad when i bought the doors and wings from your old mk1 golf remember? He seemed like a lovely bloke.

My Condolences for your loss!

I've just finished reading all 90 pages of your last corrado :luvlove:, I was interested to find out about it when i read your bit in Mass Dubate, i see why they called you 'Mr Corrado', or words to that effect!

Good luck with this one!

Thanks for all your kind words again :)

Not touched the car for a couple of weeks, other than driving it to work and back every day with no interior :) Hoping to get some decent work done at the weekend and post up some progress.

Bought and collected a few more bits for it, which will hopefully make it quite a driver focused car.

Updates this weekend I promise :)

Jay

Just wanted to say hi im newish to the forum, I loved the last Corrado 24v awsome car with so much attention to detail :notworthy: lm im looking forward to the next one :clap:

Thanks. Got a scary amount of work to do to get this Rado anywhere near the last one, but I am looking forward to it.

Failed miserably at the weekend with doing anything as we were busy then it lashed it down for hours. Did wire up the earlier clocks and I now have a speedo, but it's Reading 1/6th of the speed so that needs some work.

Going to blitz the car in a coupl of weeks and get evrything done to make it drive right. I do have a Porsche 997 steering wheel now :). But it has a blown airbag so needs some work too! LOL

progress soon I promise.

Jay

Jay, I work at Porsche, Might be able to get hold of wiring diagrams if you want. any idea on the vin of teh donor car, or what year the dash is?

I have wiring diagrams mate.

What I could do with though is the resistance values of the water temp sensor if that is something that could be found out :)

You could be my new best friend dude ;)

Jay

Hmm, Mighty difficult conundrum. The resistance depends on where the signal gets picked up from.

On a Boxster the signal gets routed through the DME as the DME needs to be able to power the fans indipendantly of the ignition being switched on.

Also whilst the pulses through the CAN BUS might be wired to recognise a set patern, the pulses that your engine send could be very different.

Im sorry Jay, Im not sure we are going to get you a definitive answer to this one, just a case of hit and miss, or hardwiring it.

Well.........

I have been fairly busy on the basic mechanicals over the last couple of weeks, alongside building nursery furniture and buying prams etc.. :)

Started by removing the complete rear beam and replacing/upgrading every single part.

Stripped the rear beam, fitted brand new OEM bushes as the old ones had seen better days!

1a2afaaf.jpg

Then proceeded to create a make shift hoist to support the beam as I carefully pressed the new bushes into the beam, using a vice and some careful movements so not to damage the new bushes.

d6346b6b.jpg

Managed to fit all that and then fitted the following to the rear beam. (No pictures sorry)

- New MK4 Golf rear calipers and carriers.

- New OEM rear pads

- New OEM rear discs

- New OEM Rear Bearings

- New Goodridge braided hoses.

- New OEM handbrake cables (had to move the handbrake over by an inch for the boxster centre console so did that at the same time)

Also fitted rear Bilstein Coilovers and new AP front coilovers too.

While I was replacing the rear brakes I figured I might aswell do the front, so rather than replace the boggo 280mm stuff I got a full almost new 312mm setup of a TT, complete with Mintex pads.

Also picked up some wheels to go with the Clubsport theme I will be running eventually......

c8def35a.jpg

471b37bd.jpg

Chassis and brakes are now million times better than it was and the first step towards making this a nice daily, as it was/is cold, uncomfortable, scary and noisy! LOL

Also set the tracking using my home made tracking gear. It simply consists of nice straight poles which attach to the wheels, one with a laser pointer at 90 degrees to the pole, the other with a mirror on it. If the reflection of the laser is not straight back, the tracking is off. Simple and free!! :)

5a27d025.jpg

INTERIOR ------

So with the chassis progressing I focused my attention on the interior again.

With the dash back out I wanted to fit the Boxster climate control, which in principle is the same as the MK4 golf/Audi etc.. climate control.

Having fitted the passat one before I decided to get the fan and ducting part from a Passat as its slightly different to the MK4 golf one. The main difference is the way the air-con pipes go through the firewall.

On the golf its a big plate with lots of holes and a complex seal. On the passat its one big hole with one big seal

This can be made to fit by cutting 3 x 50mm holes in a triangle and then filing them to create one neat hole that matches the passat seal. The easiest and neatest way to do this is with a 50mm panel punch. Pictures tell a thousand words so......

4fb13edf.jpg

4a8fd1df.jpg

67f47b49.jpg

64e5e439.jpg

6c668ce1.jpg

Fitted a brand new Corrado heater matrix while I was there. Then by modifying a couple of the Passat brackets and drilling an extra hole in the firewall for the studs that hold the heaterbox in, it was done.

Wired it up and it works no problem.

Unfortunately I don't have a fan motor (its in the post) so the drives to work have been a little chilly this week LOL!!!

18d7a799.jpg

22cfb01c.jpg

e9f13ae1.jpg

Now the pretty bits :)

For the interior I am going for the style and feel of a GT3 Porsche. With the dash the obvious choice really.

So. I had previously acquired a 997 Porsche steering wheel, but it was a cream leather one with a blown airbag.

Having had a quick chat with my best mate and general interior trimming genius Doug (tribetypefourty) we decided it would work well in alcantara.

A few steps reconstructing the airbag with foam and filler and some nice trimming work you end up with a GT3 style wheel. All credit to Doug for the work on this. Top man!

18f4b1f3.jpg

b8d3ba6e.jpg

f8cbf86f.jpg

7c9fedf7.jpg

ee105a75.jpg

45769275.jpg

Finally my other investment this week.

A set of Kevlar Composite FIA Approved buckets, to continue the theme, currently stored under my mate Vicks christmas tree until I collect them next week. Should look good with the dash and the stripped out back end/ roll cage ;)

26de043c.jpg

Its coming along slowly :)

Jay

You and your buddies have some excellent skills mate.. it's always a pleasure reading your project threads! Keep us posted on how this one comes along! :)