Sign in to follow this  
fla

cant select gears

I am converting my auto to a manual - i've fitted the box to the engine and have tried changing gear from the selector tower but it doenst want to. I've turned the engine manually but its still the same. Is there anything i should look for before putting it all back together? The box has had a knock on the black outer cover, but i took this off and the fifth gear is fine, no metal shavings or any other muck. The clutch slave is still on if that makes any difference.

I dont want to fit it all into the car and find the box doesnt work :roll:

Not sure its of any help but my clutch went recently and i thought it was the slave but it didn't help changing it......the problem turned out to be the clutch fork that holds the thrust bearing was snapped, and after reading on here it turns out i'm not the first thats happened to, don't think its that common though.....and if it is, its about £30 for the fork.

Hope you get it sorted mate

sorry, should have mentioned, the engine and box are sitting on a pallet right now - just changing gears to see how smooth they were, or if there were any problems. I'll take teh cover off and check the forks as you suggested easypops, thanks.

is it possible or indeed feasible to split the gearbox without removing it from teh engine - i want to check the gear selector forks? Or will it have to be removed from the block?

On another note does anyone have a spare side cover - mine is decidedly dented (section on the right). Gearbox was painted by the previous owner and a lot of it has started flaking off, especially where i tried removing the dents on the cover.

i think easypops is referring to the clutch release lever that the release bearing attaches too. Which i remember was fine when we fitted the box. The gear selector forks are inside the box and i'm not sure how you would check those. I remember playing about with the gear selector before the box was fitted and it was selecting gears okay, so its strange its not working now.

Yes zak thats the very bit i mean......sorry if my bad terminology has caused you any stress mate :oops:

i think easypops is referring to the clutch release lever that the release bearing attaches too. Which i remember was fine when we fitted the box. The gear selector forks are inside the box and i'm not sure how you would check those. I remember playing about with the gear selector before the box was fitted and it was selecting gears okay, so its strange its not working now.

Mm, ok, perhaps its fine - i dont have the right 'feel' for the gearchanges, so i dont know if its ok. I'll try it with just the cables connected and let you know how i get on.

Easypops, no worries at all, any input is appreciated, i'm on a steep learning curve with the manual box.