Sign in to follow this  
too hot

Which Sat Nav?

I`m guessing this is the correct area to post Sat Nav questions :?

Having done a few big trips this year an got lost once or twice :lol:

I have decided to get a Sat Nav :)

Now ideally I have had a look around and seems to be a minefield.

What I am looking for is something upgradeable,to US and European maps speed cameras etc.

Anyone got any recommendations or rejections :D

I could go for the VW RNS510 for the Golf but thats fixed in the car so not transportable and £600+ :(

I`m guessing this is the correct area to post Sat Nav questions :?

Having done a few big trips this year an got lost once or twice :lol:

I have decided to get a Sat Nav :)

Now ideally I have had a look around and seems to be a minefield.

What I am looking for is something upgradeable,to US and European maps speed cameras etc.

Anyone got any recommendations or rejections :D

I could go for the VW RNS510 for the Golf but thats fixed in the car so not transportable and £600+ :(

I love my Tom Tom Go 530 (now the 540 I believe). Comes complete with UK and ROI maps but additional maps can be added via your PC or SD card. Comes complete with fixed speed cameras but Tom Tom will charge for updates. However you can get updates from other places on the web which includes known mobile hotspots for a lot less money.

Other features include bluetooth for handsfree, IQ Routes (dependant on time of the day) and Advanced Lane Guidance.

I have a tom tom 1 it does everything i need (get me from a to b ) when i dont know where im going must admit i only use it a couple of times a year

i dont need anything more so i guess depends what your needs are

Have to admit to being pretty impressed with the TomTom XL. The mapping is very good, and that's the key with these things. The missus paid a fair amount of cash to get the whole of europe maps right from day one, and the box isn't very expandable (no card slot), but it does what it says on the tin and in operation it's very slick. It also runs Linux you know... :)

I think I made a reasonable choce with a Garmin 255WT about a year ago, nice and compact, widescreen, UK and western europe maps, free Traffic updates via the special power lead that comes with it, and speed camera info (yearly update fee).

Has an SD card slot.

I think you can get this or it's updated version for around 140 quid.

It works really well has excellent satellite pickup and is nice and easy to use.

Lifetime map updates for the UK are a bit steep at 99 quid though.

It was the Tom Tom XL IQ that I had been looking at :)

At the moment Amazon is doing that model for £129.99,which seems godd value for money :?

Can this be upgraded/dated with Euro/US maps or do you have to get them preloaded at time of purchase?

It was the Tom Tom XL IQ that I had been looking at :)

At the moment Amazon is doing that model for £129.99,which seems godd value for money :?

Can this be upgraded/dated with Euro/US maps or do you have to get them preloaded at time of purchase?

You can buy additional maps at a later date using the Tom Tom Home application for your PC or Mac.

Certain US tourist attractions also sell updates for the Tom Tom, normally in the form of an SD card, for adding the standard attractions as POI items (points of interest).

If you're going to buy additional maps they will almost certainly be cheaper as a bundle with the device up front.

i got a refurbished TomTom One from here: http://www.totalpda.co.uk/

It was as if it was new when received and with 12 months TomTom warranty...very happy with it especially as i saved about £40 on buying one brand new

i got a refurbished TomTom One from here: http://www.totalpda.co.uk/

It was as if it was new when received and with 12 months TomTom warranty...very happy with it especially as i saved about £40 on buying one brand new

Had a quick look on there looks good value for refurbed units :?