Sign in to follow this  
RichG60

Koni Coilovers too hard for Devon!

I've decided to look in to replacing my Koni coilovers as they are far too hard for Devon roads, great when your driving on a smooth surface but there isn't a lot of that round here.

I want to maintain the ride height, the car is on standard 15inch G60 steelies 195 50 15's but have a notably softer ride. Is this possible??

IMG_0070.jpg

id did a week around devon and cornwall last month on koni adj and H&R springs, obvioulsy they are stiffer than standard but never got any bone shaking jolt or complaints from the gf about her :censored: hurting lol

I would guess that the main things is to establish what the spring rates are for the Koni's and then look for something which has a lower spring rate (and damping to match).

I wonder whether it would be worthwhile contacting Koni to see whether they could advise an alternative spring which could be fitted to the existing coilovers (and work with the coilovers damping characteristics - presumably they have adjustable damping?) to give a more compliant ride.

Idle thought: a progressive spring would probably be ideal which would better cope with small bumps etc but maintain the handling etc, I have fitted progressive rate springs to one of my other cars to good effect (though not coilovers admittedly).

The car is quite low – have you thought about raising the ride height 15-20mm to given the suspension some more travel? (before you go buying new hardware)

I recently raised the back of mine by 20mm and the car does feel more settled at speed

Simple few things to think of:

You could get a softer shock into there, but on that low ride height you might find it simply rebounds too quickly. A softer spring, might feel nice, until you find it bottoms out and goes bang! Basically, if you're low, I bet theres very little chance you can soften the ride with the spring or shock.

You either need to lift the car up, to allow more travel, or look to other items. Personally I'd lift the car, IMHO the car looks too low and go for a small 35mm or 40mm drop. However, other items could be:

- have you considered replacing rubber bushes? Dont go for sporty ones, get original VAG.

- Wheels, unfortunately, you've already got one of the softest setups there, as the big fat (profile) should soak up the bumps (compared to a skinny 40 profile in 17's). The only alternative here, is if you're running an expensive tyre like Michelin that has a stiff side wall, and replace with a cheaper, soft side wall tyre, like Uniroyal Rainsport.

- then lastly, try to drive slower or avoid pot holes. As for nbumps, the 15's should soak some of it up.

Good advice above and this is exactly why i'd never really recommend coilovers on a Corrado for daily road use although they are usful for getting the ride height spot-on.

Just to add to what Stuart was saying about tyres - Goodyear Eagkle F1 GSD3's are also nice and soft although slightly more prone to punctures becuase of this.

Thanks for all the advice, pot holes are not the issue, the road surface is terrible in places, the road surface is cracked and not all tarmac.

The road is a crappy A road, not tarmac'd completely or in the last 20 years! I drive 25 miles a day with a work colleague, never drive fast to be honest.

The car has Toyo T1r's on which I'm happy about, no need to change them. But actually thinking about it my Standard Clio Williams was worse lol I just think I'm getting old.

I will definitely look at getting the suspension lifted up, I didn't set it that way. I have set the dampers to the softest setting as it was ridulous half way.

Perhaps when I get some 16's for it with raised suspension I might get an improvement.

ahh, you failed to mention the old-fart syndrome, lol

Well, most of us like the 16's and I hope you do too; they will appear to fill the arches better, while allowing a higher ride height. However, be aware that the side wall will be a 45, meaning stiffer than a 50, meaning you'll get more 'feel' - or in old fart terms, it feels bumpy, lol. Nice IMO.

Tweeking adjustables can be tricky. Too stiff a rebound on the shock and what happens is that, whilst the spring took the initial bump of an undulation in the road, its not yet fully recoiled to the top and you're already hitting the second bump - now with half the spring travel and Bang, you hit the stop. Back the shock off too much and it'll wallow about like jelly - although I'd think you could'nt get a jelly setting on a sports shock. So yeh, lift it - it will do wonders !

ps - tyre pressures. Entyrely your choice. But I found on a 15 rim, I needed quite high pressures to sustain stability, so ran at about 38psi front, maybe 36. Whereas on 17's I found 30 was much better.

get the coiolvers rebuilt and set them to fully soft... they have had a few years wear by now and maybe a bit worn. specially at the height i ran it at... maybe worth considering some KW comfort pack from G werks

there is a simple solution for this... don't drive in devon... move! :tongue:

dont knock it till you try it

the roads may be crap but its damm peaceful

plus you're pretty much guaranteed not to get stabbed or shot down here :grin:

there is a simple solution for this... don't drive in devon... move! :tongue:

dont knock it till you try it

the roads may be crap but its damm peaceful

plus you're pretty much guaranteed not to get stabbed or shot down here :grin:

sounds too good to be true!!! :lol:

get the coiolvers rebuilt and set them to fully soft... they have had a few years wear by now and maybe a bit worn. specially at the height i ran it at... maybe worth considering some KW comfort pack from G werks

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but what's a KW comfort pack?

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but what's a KW comfort pack?

Indeed, I turn 30 in two weeks. This sounds like just the ticket!