Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Removing helper spring on Coilovers?

Am sure i heard this mentioned somewhere, could of been here, or another forum.

What is known about this?

i've got coilovers but only because lowering kits weren't "high" enough for me :cuckoo: :camp: so i have them wound almost right up, hardly any movement in the spring. can you remove helper springs and then have the full travel of the main spring?

this may be a stupid/impossible question, i haven't gone out and looked at the suspension since thinking about this

You can run without helper springs.

They are rated typically at 4lb or 8lb and are designed to be coilbound when the spring/damper unit is loaded eg when the wheel is on the deck.

There sole purpose in life is to keep the spring seated when the wheel is unloaded which shouldn't occur under normal conditions if you've got your platforms wound up as far as described.

As above helpers are only there to take up slack when the strut is at full drop, if you have your platforms that high up removing them won’t be an issue as the main spring will still be under some tension. It will lower your ride height by the thickness of the helper spring when fully compressed so say 20mm. i don't see the benefit of removing them as the main spring will still be under the same compression when the car is on the ground regardless of the helpers being in there. Only when the car is raised and the strut is at full drop will the main spring be under less compression.

If removing the helpers, I would personally run longer main springs to compensate and there's less chance of it going coilbound too.

i've got coilovers but only because lowering kits weren't "high" enough for me

Sounds like you need stock Late VR 4xe4 suspension then! :lol:

oh god no, i've only just upgraded to coils from 4x4... never again!

basically the spring has the same spring rate no matter how high or low you jack your car up with the adjusters, the adjusters only adjust the height of the car. if you remove the helper spring it will just lower the car, your best bet like kev said is to get longer springs