balboa

RELAY 109 CLICKING!!!!!!

Awesome! I was expecting the more knowledgeable types to say no it won't be that, this is a different type of fault if I'm honest. Glad it worked :)

It made the most sense as it was the ecu relay that was clicking profusely, but all suggestions were worth investigation.

Does anyone know what this perished part should look like - is it the same as the other white clips shown in the pictures? I have no idea :-(

I just used a bit of fuel hose. All it needs to do is insulate doesn't have to be anything fancy

I just used a bit of fuel hose. All it needs to do is insulate doesn't have to be anything fancy

I was thinking I might have to make something up, bet VW don't make them anymore...

i dont know enough about electrics but even to me that seems odd, you would of thought the ecu itself would be insulated enough? ,might be something more sinister going on as to why part of the ecu casing would be creating a circuit

My storm has 2 of those plastic clips, one on the rear, one furthest under the scuttle. The nearest the engine has a 10mm nut direct to ground, no plastic or rubber to insulate it.

Put a multimeter to the bracket and the neg of the battery, if you have voltage there you may have a short circuit somewhere?

My storm has 2 of those plastic clips, one on the rear, one furthest under the scuttle. The nearest the engine has a 10mm nut direct to ground, no plastic or rubber to insulate it.

Put a multimeter to the bracket and the neg of the battery, if you have voltage there you may have a short circuit somewhere?

My daily driver VR6 has the same set up as above

Ah, the plot thickens! I will do that test when I get home, thanks.

i dont know enough about electrics but even to me that seems odd, you would of thought the ecu itself would be insulated enough? ,might be something more sinister going on as to why part of the ecu casing would be creating a circuit

I did wonder this as I thought the car's chassis is effectively ground and so why would having the ECU case touch it cause a short - sounds like I have a short being caused elsewhere...

If I have a short then I will try removing each fuse in turn to see if I can isolate the circuit causing it.

Edited by jamin

At least now you should be able to scan the car with it running for fault codes.

ECUs don't like voltages and more importantly heavy currents where they shouldn't be, so starting in "insulated" mode should be kept to a minimum.

I'd take the cover off the ecu first to see if there's any water ingress inside causing a short circuit

At least now you should be able to scan the car with it running for fault codes.

ECUs don't like voltages and more importantly heavy currents where they shouldn't be, so starting in "insulated" mode should be kept to a minimum.

I'd take the cover off the ecu first to see if there's any water ingress inside causing a short circuit

This is a good point - I suppose I could connect a lead from the -VE on the battery to the ECU bracket to be safe?

The car has been in the garage for a couple of years and so the ECU should be dry as a bone!

This is a good point - I suppose I could connect a lead from the -VE on the battery to the ECU bracket to be safe?

That will have the same effect as bolting it down to the scuttle, ie non start?

Check the main battery earth to the engine block is connected, tight and clean from oxidisation.

That will have the same effect as bolting it down to the scuttle, ie non start?

Check the main battery earth to the engine block is connected, tight and clean from oxidisation.

I don't think so - that would happen if I used the +VE terminal.

OK thanks, will do.

Well it looks like the issue is solved, but I didn't actively fix anything! I checked for voltage from the battery to the mount where the ECU is bolted, nothing. I tried this in all the various key positions and whilst the car was running. Odd.

So I cleaned up the scuttle panel (a few years worth of leaves in there!) and mounted the ECU and bolted it back down. Started first time, each time, no problems.

Annoying to say the least...