Sign in to follow this  
too hot

The £1500 VR6 (is it worth it)

Looking around at the prices of Corrados there are big price differences :shock:

There are the Storms at £3500-£5000+

Vr6`s are on the floor at the moment.

The £1500 VR is out there but is it worth it?

I have had a look at a few VR`s so far and see basket cases to breakers from £1000 and less on Ebay.

I don`t really want to drive 300+ miles and then it only makes it 25 miles back before needing transported(like one of our members recently found to his cost :shock: :shock: )

Is a cheap VR a viable proposition ?

Ideally I am looking for something to keep in the garage over the winter and restore.

But I don`t want a complete dog :)

I don`t need it as daily driver or for a specific date or show just a project to throw money at :lol: :lol:

What are the opinions on cheap VR`s are they worth the hassle?

I think it is a perfect time to buy a vr! Everybody knows if you buy a shed of an example for a grand your just going to throw money at it that you will never get back. But spend a bit more £1500-1800 and you can pick up decent mileage, fsh and even leather example! Buy one now, garage it for the winter months sort out any little jobs that might need doing then enjoy it next summer. From a buyers perspective there has never been a better time, but from a sellers perspective it must be a nightmare! Ian

I think it is a perfect time to buy a vr! Everybody knows if you buy a shed of an example for a grand your just going to throw money at it that you will never get back. But spend a bit more £1500-1800 and you can pick up decent mileage, fsh and even leather example! Buy one now, garage it for the winter months sort out any little jobs that might need doing then enjoy it next summer. From a buyers perspective there has never been a better time, but from a sellers perspective it must be a nightmare! Ian

Thats what I thought.

Course if it turns out to be that bad could always break it :lol:

Thres a few on Ebay just now well under £1000 ,long way to travel though for a plug :lol:

Don't assume that you won't need to spend money on a car, whether it's cheap on expensive. They'll all need some sort of attention....

Don't assume that you won't need to spend money on a car, whether it's cheap on expensive. They'll all need some sort of attention....

HELL YES this is soo true! I spent 2.5k just over 6months ago buying the mintest, most straightest VALVER i could find so id have hassle free motoring and ive still managed to spend nearly a grand on it since (a few tidy up mods too, not inc coilovers). I could've probably done everything ive done for half that but ive learnt that sometimes its best to just buy brand new parts etc rather than 2nd hand bits. IMO, spend about 2-2.5k on a vr if possible. Rado's just aint worth fack all at the mo.

i went through this very turmoil last sep....

i ended up buying an auto vr !!!!! it was the best car around at the time for the money mileage model condition etc etc history...

i paid £2250 , it had 107,000 miles it was blackberry and had grey leather (electric recaro's) standard form arpart from a magnex exhaust.

i had the same thoughts as you, something reliable stick in the garage over the winter months and play in the summer, well i have stuck it in the garage this is true and it has hardly mooved since ,not due to the fault of the car but the lack of funds in my wallet!! :D

the car has got complete anal vw history i have a box file absolutly stuffed with bills recipts all vw main dealer , i have spent money on small mods etc i wanted some paint work done as by the time you do a patch here and there i eneded up with a respray... i have replaced every single bush, bearing, linkage and boot on the front end of the car (got to do the rear next ) not because it needed doing but the parts are so cheap it is kinda well if im doing that i might as well do this... and the difference it made is incredable makes the car so so tight to drive....

point is i guess it doesnt matter how cheap the car is or clean tidy etc your gonna spend more than you intended if its a project make sure you pick something up with decent body work dont worry about the rest as the mechanical stuff is easier to get sorted and at least you know where you stand with your car then...

i too have been toying with the idea of selling mine i love it dont get me wrong but with the prices as they are i think it wont be going anywhere for quite some time!!

There are always bargains around to be had, but they're in the minority. As a general rule i'd say to stay away from cheap VR6's as they really can be money pits.

There are always bargains around to be had, but they're in the minority. As a general rule i'd say to stay away from cheap VR6's as they really can be money pits.

Just think that chains, tensioners, a new clutch and heater matrix could easily set you back £2500 in parts and labour on a ratty car with little history but buying a car with all this done will only command a tiny premium over such a ‘dog’. Get a decent one and still plan for some expenditure. That way you can enjoy the car more by actually driving it rather than it being holed up in a garage with its guts out.

No chance of that -----it`s a corrado we are talking about :lol: :lol:

So the chaep VR6 is really only cheap if you are looking for a car for parts :lol: :lol:

Its really like all car buying ----- buyer beware!!!!!

There are numerous VR`s on Ebay just now all under £1000 ----- and some even look quite good :grin:

Looking around the £3000+ cars seem to be sticking and taking a lot longer to sell.

I might start looking at the hgher priced Corrados and go in with a low offer all they can say is no ----or F*** Off :lol: :lol:

Depends on how keen people are to sell. :(

Maybe I should just bit the bullet and go and buy the mintiest Storm I can find and cherish it :lol: :lol:

Im actually one of the guys who has cheaped on my vr6.

It was a bit of a dog when I got it. Just hadnt been looked after. It was on 126k with sh upto 90k, T&T. It had a few bodge job repairs and bits of interiors missing.

So far the major things that have happened are the fan motor catching on fire and a hose and plastic housing spiltting 200 miles from my home.

I like to mess around fixing my car so its fine for me. Plus I didnt have the money to pay for a minter.

As long as you dont mind getting your hand dirty they can be fine.

Im actually one of the guys who has cheaped on my vr6.

It was a bit of a dog when I got it. Just hadnt been looked after. It was on 126k with sh upto 90k, T&T. It had a few bodge job repairs and bits of interiors missing.

So far the major things that have happened are the fan motor catching on fire and a hose and plastic housing spiltting 200 miles from my home.

I like to mess around fixing my car so its fine for me. Plus I didnt have the money to pay for a minter.

As long as you dont mind getting your hand dirty they can be fine.

Thats what I thought I fancy my chances of picking up something reasonable like that MIke.

"and a hose and plastic housing spiltting 200 miles from my home."

Typical never happens at the bottom of your street does it :lol: :lol:

Thats what I thought I fancy my chances of picking up something reasonable like that MIke.

"and a hose and plastic housing spiltting 200 miles from my home."

Typical never happens at the bottom of your street does it :lol: :lol:

Yeah its bloody typical. I do use it as a daily aswell. If your hands on, there is nothing you cant fixed or replace. I have got quite plan for mine anyway so I will end up changing everything on it anyway.

The only advise I can give you is give it a good looking over! (the guys who had mine replace the front pads and forgot to do the calipers back up!!!!! :shock: )

grey16

The only advise I can give you is give it a good looking over! (the guys who had mine replace the front pads and forgot to do the calipers back up!!!!! :shock:

Schoolboy error :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't rely on service history either.

Mine had full VWSH up to about a year before I bought it, and it was totally forked.

Don't rely on service history either.

Mine had full VWSH up to about a year before I bought it, and it was totally forked.

Yeah noted!!!

You normally find VWSH means they are parts fitters :lol: :lol:

Take off faulty parts and replace------no repairing !!!!! :cuckoo:

The cars going to be tired at this age at any price.

Buy at £1500 with decent MOT, fit new suspension bushes all round, new dampers and engine mounts, new fuel filter, full service and bleed new fluid through the brakes. A tank of V-power and it should drive like new then and better than a £3000 car.

Then buy all the annoying missing little bits of trim and nicer seats off here :)

The cars going to be tired at this age at any price.

Buy at £1500 with decent MOT, fit new suspension bushes all round, new dampers and engine mounts, new fuel filter, full service and bleed new fluid through the brakes. A tank of V-power and it should drive like new then and better than a £3000 car.

Then buy all the annoying missing little bits of trim and nicer seats off here :)

Or just buy a TT :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can get that lot done for £1500 I'd be very surprised.

If you can get that lot done for £1500 I'd be very surprised.

Lol so would I unless you can do it all yourself. Thats what I did with my last C and would do with the next. Unless I saw one for sale that had already had it all done recently :)

Yes you could just buy a TT :lol: - but its just not the same, not as special as a Corrado. Yes it drives better and is much more comfortable and safer, but its just a little dull.

My head still snaps round whenever I see a Corrado, I will get another VR6 sometime...

Buy a TT .... or not ! I had one that replaced my GTI 16v, and although it was a good / great car, ot was so SOUL-LESS, so I only kept it for a few months, sold it, and my Golf Convertible, and brought an old 1.8i 16v Corrado. I love it !! Although I am really tempted to have a G60 as a toy, and the 16V as the daily hack .... I did toy with the idea of a VR6, but the engine sounded somewhat expensive to maintain ( chains etc ) so stuck with the "basic" lump.

Buy a TT .... or not ! I had one that replaced my GTI 16v, and although it was a good / great car, ot was so SOUL-LESS, so I only kept it for a few months, sold it, and my Golf Convertible, and brought an old 1.8i 16v Corrado. I love it !! Although I am really tempted to have a G60 as a toy, and the 16V as the daily hack .... I did toy with the idea of a VR6, but the engine sounded somewhat expensive to maintain ( chains etc ) so stuck with the "basic" lump.

:lol: :lol: I was only being sarcastic with the "buy a TT comment" :lol: :lol:

That just isn`t going to happen.

I`ve got a MKV GTI that does all the easy stuff that a TT can do :)

I apprecate that the VR6 is a fairly complex and expensive piece of kit especially when it comes to replacing chains and tensioners etc.

My point was there are very cheap VR`s out there its just a matter of getting a good cheap one. :)

:shrug: Don't see anything wrong with a TT personally. A nice 3.2 Quattro would probably be a lot of fun...

:shrug: Don't see anything wrong with a TT personally. A nice 3.2 Quattro would probably be a lot of fun...

Yeah my mate has one with DSG gearbox great till you boot it or use launch control ----8mpg :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been toying with the idea of chopping my blackberry 94 VR6 in the scrappage scheme, but this thread is making me think it may be better to sell it. Any ideas what it is realistically worth? It's done 144,000 and had the chains, tensioners, head, clutch done at 140,000. It has lots of history, heated leather and aircon. Everything works and it has the usual koni/H&R suspension setup which was done the same time as front wishbones and bushes 18 months ago and the heater matrix about 8 months before that. It also has 288mm brakes and a Miltech exhaust & std speedline wheels. It's my daily driver for the last 3 years and has never broken down (now I'm asking for trouble).

It sounds great, but it has 2 issues - since the clutch was done the take up is very jerky/snatchy (though gear change is fine) and the paint work is crap (not rusty) so it needs a respray. Oh - I just remembered there is a bad chip in the windscreen as well.

What could I realistically get for it? I see lots of different asking prices banded around, but I have no idea what they are actually going for. Is it worth more that the magic £2k?