Sign in to follow this  
too hot

The £1500 VR6 (is it worth it)

I have been toying with the idea of chopping my blackberry 94 VR6 in the scrappage scheme, but this thread is making me think it may be better to sell it. Any ideas what it is realistically worth? It's done 144,000 and had the chains, tensioners, head, clutch done at 140,000. It has lots of history, heated leather and aircon. Everything works and it has the usual koni/H&R suspension setup which was done the same time as front wishbones and bushes 18 months ago and the heater matrix about 8 months before that. It also has 288mm brakes and a Miltech exhaust & std speedline wheels. It's my daily driver for the last 3 years and has never broken down (now I'm asking for trouble).

It sounds great, but it has 2 issues - since the clutch was done the take up is very jerky/snatchy (though gear change is fine) and the paint work is crap (not rusty) so it needs a respray. Oh - I just remembered there is a bad chip in the windscreen as well.

What could I realistically get for it? I see lots of different asking prices banded around, but I have no idea what they are actually going for. Is it worth more that the magic £2k?

Difficult to say really depends on how bad the bodywork is.

There have been a few really tidy looking VR`s turning up from £1000 upwards to £2000

Only thing with the scrappage scheme is I think you have to have owned the car for at leats 12 months(correct me if I`m wrong)

The vehicle has to have MOT three months I think(might be wrong!!!)

Worth considering if you can afford a new car.

Might be cheaper to sell the Corrado and do a cash deal on something new :)

Would be a shame to scrap it, make him an offer TooHot as it sounds like the majority of the work has been done. Good colour as well.

Any low price Corrado is going to need some bodywork.

just picked up a non-runner VR for 1.2k need to do timing chains, matrix and head gasket, give it a good clean up and boom, sexy ass corrado ;)

Pete

just picked up a non-runner VR for 1.2k need to do timing chains, matrix and head gasket, give it a good clean up and boom, sexy ass corrado ;)

Pete

At least you know what needs doing,seems a bit much to me :o

Whats the rest of it like interior and bodywork?

I have been toying with the idea of chopping my blackberry 94 VR6 in the scrappage scheme, but this thread is making me think it may be better to sell it. Any ideas what it is realistically worth? It's done 144,000 and had the chains, tensioners, head, clutch done at 140,000. It has lots of history, heated leather and aircon. Everything works and it has the usual koni/H&R suspension setup which was done the same time as front wishbones and bushes 18 months ago and the heater matrix about 8 months before that. It also has 288mm brakes and a Miltech exhaust & std speedline wheels. It's my daily driver for the last 3 years and has never broken down (now I'm asking for trouble).

It sounds great, but it has 2 issues - since the clutch was done the take up is very jerky/snatchy (though gear change is fine) and the paint work is crap (not rusty) so it needs a respray. Oh - I just remembered there is a bad chip in the windscreen as well.

What could I realistically get for it? I see lots of different asking prices banded around, but I have no idea what they are actually going for. Is it worth more that the magic £2k?

Thats sounds great and would easily that would get £1500-2k! Then you can walk into the dealership and get a straight sale on a new car.

The scrappage scheme isn't all its cracked up to be. My father went into a Land Rover dealer after a new Freelander 2, list 22k in the spec /options he wanted. He gets them down to 19k.

He then said "righto another grand off for my scrappage car". The dealer shook their head and said scrappage scheme is 2k off full list - so same car would be 20k with scrappage and 19k with no scrappage.

Nuts, just proves car dealers prefer the easy life and will still give a better deal on a straight sale.

Bodywork. Interior. The two most important areas as they are unique to the Corrado and the only two areas worth worrying about.

Smokey engines, chains, brakes etc, don't even give them a second thought if the car is clean and straight. It's all Golf derived and therefore cheap and easy source / replace.

Been toying with getting rid of mine as it's been driving me insane over the past few months. I guess most of us Corrado owners go through this at one point or another, but it seems to be one thing after another with this thing. Nothing major admittedly, but just as I get one thing done, another crops up.

Bodywork is getting pretty bad on it now so I doubt it's even worth much, but I've been seriously tempted to get shot of it for £2k guaranteed! The only problem is, then I'd have to buy a brand new car & there's nothing I would want in my price range.

Not sure I could live with getting it scrapped though, seems like a bit of a waste to me...

Bodywork. Interior. The two most important areas as they are unique to the Corrado and the only two areas worth worrying about.

Smokey engines, chains, brakes etc, don't even give them a second thought if the car is clean and straight. It's all Golf derived and therefore cheap and easy source / replace.

I agree with this. Dont let high mileage put you off either, the VR engines are made to be driven and can take mileage no problem providing its been looked after.

It always makes me sad reading these kinds of threads. I only got my VR in February and haven't even driven it yet, spent the last 6 months tidying it up, time/money permitting. I always get a little bit sad when I see ppl have C's in better condition than mine, and they are thinking of scrapping them :|

It always makes me sad reading these kinds of threads. I only got my VR in February and haven't even driven it yet, spent the last 6 months tidying it up, time/money permitting. I always get a little bit sad when I see ppl have C's in better condition than mine, and they are thinking of scrapping them :|

I know what you are saying but some Corrados are now worth more for their parts than selling complete.

Also they are now old cars the newest being 13 years old an enthusiasts machine.

You are not going to get much as a trade in thats where the scrappage scheme appeals.

You will get a guaranteed £2000 no hassle no drama no tyre kickers :)

A lot of it has to do with the current economic climate .

People dont have the same disposable income and need a car which is reliable daily transport not a weekend toy/or hobby.

However look on the brightside you have a corrado and its your hobby /project and its not really a fortune tied up in it. :luvlove:

Look at some people who have big money tied up in houses and have had thousands wiped off their values :(

people cant be arsed to sort out the problems i suppose... dont know why these people own cars this old in the first place?? most 15-20 year old cars are already scrapped and in a very bad way, especially the french ones :lol:

why go scrap in a perfectly good corrado and pay x amount a month, that money you spend each month can go into a corrado, and they look a million times better than the new cars when they are mint!

a new car will loose loads of money, at least a mint corrado will be worth something in a the years to come... times are hard and prices have dropped, but they can only go up, and all these boring new cars will be worth nothing in 5 years

why go scrap in a perfectly good corrado and pay x amount a month, that money you spend each month can go into a corrado, and they look a million times better than the new cars when they are mint!

a new car will loose loads of money, at least a mint corrado will be worth something in a the years to come... times are hard and prices have dropped, but they can only go up, and all these boring new cars will be worth nothing in 5 years

Exactly my friend thats the whole point of this thread .It is worth saving a £1500 Vr6 :grin:

it definately is worth saving, especially if you have the time to do bits on it!!!

if someone gave me 10k to buy a car, i would buy a corrado VR6 and spend all the money doing it up, be faster than pretty much any car you can buy for that and will look loads better, and you wont feel like a nob driving it about

Exactly my friend thats the whole point of this thread .It is worth saving a £1500 Vr6 :grin:

Well I paid £500 for mine......granted I got a bargain, but I decided I had wanted one for years, having previously only owned 2 french cars :gag: , and that even if I had a catastrophic engine failure, it would be cheaper for me to fit a new engine (fancy an R32 conversion) than the amount it would cost to get any of the other cars I would really like to have.

Well I paid £500 for mine.....granted I got a bargain, but I decided I had wanted one for years, having previously only owned 2 french cars :gag: , and that even if I had a catastrophic engine failure, it would be cheaper for me to fit a new engine (fancy an R32 conversion) than the amount it would cost to get any of the other cars I would really like to have.

True. :grin:

You certainly cant complain at that price :shock: :shock: